Monday, July 2, 2012

06/30/12: What Are We Missing?


June 30, 2012 Salisbury Brevet
Byron and I decided to ride the June 30 600k out of Salisbury.   This would be great prep for the Taste of Carolina 1200k in August because it has a ton of hills and covers some of the same route.  Weather forecast was for 100-105 degrees Sat and Sun.   As the week continues more of those registered for the 600k decide to not ride or switch to a 200 or 400k.  Wake up in Salisbury hotel is 2am for the 4am start…..the first thing that comes to mind when we wake up…. What Are We Missing?  Veteran randos deciding to not do the 600k with 17,000 feet of climbing over 2 days that will peak at 100-105 degrees.  Byron and I come to our senses and decide to switch to the 400k…

One of my firsts…. 2 flats in the hotel room… how does that happen?  During the prep on Friday night, I noticed a flat…valve stem leaked.   Replaced the tube and one hour later before going to sleep… flat again, but this time a hole in the tube.  Changed flat again… guess I just needed a little more practice but definitely not a good sign.

Summary of ride.
The ride started and ended in Salisbury, crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway two times with a leg in Virginia.  The big factors were the relentless hills and heat.  At the end our group consisted of Tony, Vance, Byron and myself.  We started at 4am Sat, finished about 24 hours later and had to spend more time off the bike than normal. 

Late Saturday afternoon, I thought I was ready to bonk so immediately told the group and then stopped in the shade.  Took out my bonking bag then ate, took electrolytes, drank plenty, rested a few minutes and back on bike.  Later I found out I was not bonking but was over heating so focused on doing everything to cool down.   Although I made a couple more rest/cool off stops, it was well worth it as I was feeling better in a couple of hours and was able to rejoin my group. 

Local friend.
As I was resting in shade on side of road, I heard a loud noise… a farmer drove by driving his tractor and pulling a piece of equipment.  After I was on the bike I caught and passed him, as he was doing 10 to 14 mph … I waved, he waved, we both smiled.  The road then went uphill…. I was plugging away at 6 mph and the farmer passed me…..I waved, he waved, we both smiled.  The road then went down hill again.  I passed him… I waved, he waved, we both smiled.

The road turned ugly…. as warned I had reached one of the 10 to 14 % climbs and the sun was in full brightness with the temp 95 to 100 degrees.  I was in my lowest gear still feeling overheated/bonking and the legs did not respond as normal.  I was weaving across our lane….with traffic in both directions.  I dismounted and started walking up the hill at 2.5 vs the 4 mph by riding.  I heard a loud noise and then it stopped next to me.  You guessed it!  It was my local travel partner, Mr Farmer.  He asked what he could do to help me as I must have looked pitiful.  I explained what I was doing/going.  He said if he could not give me a ride, he knew a shortcut bike path I could take.  No can do I responded.  He tried his best to help me and I thanked him.  As he left, the 6 cars that he was blocking while we were talking all looked at me trying to figure out what just happened.  It is wonderful and heart warming to meet local people during our rides that truly want to give of themselves to help complete strangers passing thru their community.  

Rando Thinking
Passing a farm building, I notice a van with hood up and couple looking at it parked on the shady side of the building.  I asked if they needed help…. their response was not definite so I stopped and asked their problem.  The AC just went out in their van and they were worried the family would get hot and did not know what to do.  I paused a second before saying “that is an inconvenience and not a real problem”…open the windows, continue your journey and get AC fixed after your trip.  As I rode away, I asked myself if I really said that.   Guess I was in the rando mode of thinking.

Ride Notes
Another first for this adventure – 42 mph and yes I was a little nervous at that speed.  We were in the tuck position for so long after leaving Virginia coming down the mountain into NC that my back was hurting, but it sure was fun!

Late Saturday afternoon we rode parallel to the New River in Va.  Although still hilly, we rode in some shady spots and the river was gorgeous.  Very wide and shallow with camp sites, tents, tourists, swimmers….my favorite mental picture was of the guys in the hammocks drinking beer in the shade on the river bank cheering for us as if we were part of TDF.  What a refreshing scene!

Sometime during the night our crew of 4 stopped for a quick nap at a church.  We decided 30 minutes would work. As we dismounted, we all looked for a temporary bed.  I noticed a comfy spot on a concrete handicap ramp and with a water container as a pillow, the night animal noises, the cemetery and the stars, sleep came quickly.   The alarm went off, I shook off the cobwebs in my mind and we were back on the quiet country road again.  I bet no one coming to church a few hours later every realized the rest and peacefulness that their church provided for 4 night time travelers, but it was certainly appreciated.  

The Finish
The four weary travelers continued on their journey to Salisbury arriving about 430am.  Congrats all around to each other and then lets finish this mission.  We washed off, changed cloths, packed up bike and gear, took a short nap, had breakfast at Ihop and back on the way to Raleigh.  The decision to ride the 400 rather than the 600k was a good one as Byron and I agreed.

This was the first time I have ridden with either Tony or Vance.  Thanks to Vance for the comforting assurance that he was there for me if needed, to Tony for not having to keep a constant eye on the cue sheet and his organizational skills and to Byron for companionship for the entire adventure. 

Robert Bergeron

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on what was probably 3X as tough a ride as the 200, even though 2X the distance. At least you had your flats in the motel room - none out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricochet - I don't know how you, Byron, et al did those 400 and 600 km rides last weekend. So frickin' hot.

    Right now, I can't imagine how I did the HOT-weather 200's that I did last year. Doing 100k today about did me in!

    Congratulations on experiencing your first real dehydration incident, and getting through it. I suspect that having super veterans Byron and Tony along was a major help, as I am confident that each has experienced virtually EVERYTHING rando that there is to be experienced and overcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vance, too -- too tired to type everything I mean to type. Although most of his cycling experience is non-rando. But knowledge and help is knowledge and help.

      Delete
  3. Now I finally know who this "Ricochet" guy is! And I see the aptness of the nickname. It was truly a pleasure -- and a serious morale boost -- to have ridden with you. Here's hoping for cooler weather the next time around!

    ReplyDelete