Friday, March 20, 2009

Third head cold of Winter !

Good cycling news:
  1. I put new tires on the front and the back rims on Monday, Mar-16. The old front tire probably had ~ 4400 miles and the back tire ~ 4000 miles. New tires with a "round" profile touching the road instead of "flat" profile --> maybe I'll be a tad quicker & faster.
  2. I finally swapped out the brake pads front and rear on Wed, Mar-18. The old brake pads were the originals, and only had 8200 miles on them. ;-)

Sad cycling news:

Sent: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 3:07 pm

Subject: Saturday

Hey, guys!So far, you are the only two that have indicated a desire to ride Saturday morning.

Last night, I started having sniffles and my legs started aching. I am now "doing the drugs" to try to minimize and ward off symptoms. If I am reasonably successful at that, I may do the short version that each of you professed as your desired option.

Skipping the two "signature climbs" turns this route into a reasonably flat course (other than crossing the Neuse River / Falls Lake). So I am hoping that out-of-shape-Heath and not-feeling-so-well-Martin would be matched at approx 15 mph for a 44-mile ride. And Iva can "pull" us the whole way!

Seriously, I will e-mail you sometime tomorrow as to whether or not I expect to "give it a go" or not. If I am unable to ride, I certainly think the two of you should do the ride together. You will have my cue sheet, and my cue sheets are usually pretty accurate and keep one from getting lost - you could always map the ride out on your favorite "google earth" application using the cue sheet beforehand which I find helps me understand the courses.

In anticipation that you will ride, but I might not, please note the following regarding potential "rest stops" / "refueling stations":

1. at approx mile 13.8, in Grissom, the intersection of Bruce Garner & Lawrence roads, there is a convenience store that is receptive to cyclists.

2. at mile 31.8, at the corner of Suitts Store Rd and NC-96, there is a convenience store known as the "Western Wear Store". They are receptive to cyclists. (Well, one male clerk / owner does not appear to, but I am informed that he treats everyone with contempt -- cyclist or not.)

3. at approx mile 33.5, you will again pass the convenience store described in #1 above.

4. if you mis-calc your energy needs, there is also a convenience store at mile 46.5, the corner of NC-98 and Peed Rd. (Dave-not-the-Wave had to make an emergency stop there the last time we did the "Assault", which was Jan-31st.)

I am disappointed about not doing the "signature descents and climbs" of the Assault because I find it very interesting to watch the changes in the foliage as Winter morphs into Spring; esp. now as more trees are coming out with their blooms. Oh, well, another week, perhaps.

And:

Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 9:23 AM

Subject: Fwd: Saturday

Some fool got control of my e-mail yesterday, and that fool actually thought I might ride Saturday even though I clearly have a head cold. That fool has now been banished from my e-mail control, and given the cold temps expected Sat. morning, and given that I will certainly still be hacking some, aching, and prone to chill, there is no way I am riding Saturday. But I certainly hope that the two of you, and possibly others that have not responded with an "In", will enjoy a ride together.

Last time I checked, the breeze is supposed to be out of the NE, which is perfect for an "Assault" because you will have a tailwind coming home (although, if the breeze is only as slight as WRAL is forecasting, you may think you have an apparent headwind regardless of the direction of travel).

skiff

p.s. On the positive front for those that like short rides, I expect I will be going "short" and "slow" on Sat., Mar-28, as I try to get cautiously back into the swing of exercise. After next weekend though, I hope to be ramping the mileage up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment