Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Mallet does a Crit - Jul-19

One would think that I might have put the following, ripped from the Mallet's e-mail, on the blog back when he sent the info out to everyone.

Sent: Sun, Jul 19, 2009 3:42 pm
Subject: Criterium!

Well boys I gave it a try in my first crit this morning over at centenial campus. It was a novice/cat 3 race around a 1kM rectangle with one small climb and one chicane(sp?). 27 riders started and we were instructed to continue our race if dropped or lapped but to stay out the way of those still in contention - this made me feel better as I at least wanted to get a 30 min ride for my $25. The race was 25 mins + 8 laps and a board was used by the officials to count down the time and then the laps.

I got a front row starting position and was quite nervous looking around at the field. I'm guessing I was the 3rd oldest and certainly riding the least expensive, heaviest, fender flashiest, running shoe cruisingest bike out there - there were wheels there worth more than all my kit! Still it's not about the kit.

The starting whistle blew and while listening to the clicks of cleats engaging I fumbled to get my foot in the cage and tighten the strap. The race was on and I fell into mid pack. The peloton consertinered into and out of the short climb and the chicane .I'd been warned about this, and the extra effort it forces on those at the back, so I determined to move forward. By 15 mins in I was huffing my way round in third or fourth and the peloton was clearly shedding riders off the back. A lap or two later and we started lapping some of those who had lost contact. Everyone seemed to be riding sensibly (not to Martin's standards of safety but not bad) and avoiding any contact.

As we closed in on the start of the final 8 laps a surge of riders came by me and I thought i'd probably be out the back in short order. I regained composure on the wheel of a rider who looked like he knew what he was doing and glanced over my shoulder to see how many more riders were about to come past - I was at the back of what was left of the lead group, well clear of any chase, and in 10th. There was no way I was going to get dropped from that point and I started plotting how I might pick off one or two of the weaker riders on the way in.

On the penultimate lap I moved up to 8th diving in on the uphill corner. I gave it everything I had left exiting the last corner and all the way to the line. 8th place was mine by just a few inches as I held off the man on my wheel. I don't think I closed at all on those ahead of me down the straight.

I watched the combined cat1/2 race that followed and those guys were really flying.

Next race is next Sunday - anyone interested in joining the fun?

Hope you all had a great ride yesterday, or whatever other activities you may have been doing.

See you irregularly.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment