Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Days of the Week

Recently, Lee expressed surprise that I would ride on Saturday if I was going to ride on Sunday.  
I guess he didn't quite understand. 

But it got me to wondering about my number of rides this year on the various days of the week.
Primarily I was wondering about Saturday and Sunday. 
So I looked at my Excel log, and with a few minor edits,
I was able to automatically categorize the rides by day of the week
(in addition to month of the year, and "riding group"). 
Here is what I found: 

Total Rides:

Through Sunday, Nov-8, I have:
110 rides totalling 5502.9 miles, which is 50.0 miles per ride, at an avg pace of 15.8 mph
Five (5) of those rides were "mountain rides"; removing them from the database gives: 
105 rides, 5358.3 miles (avg 51.0 miles per ride) at 15.9 mph avg

"Irregulars" Rides:

Of the 105, twenty-nine (29) have been "irregulars" rides, 
totalling 1994.9 miles (68.8 miles per ride) at 16.1 mph avg
(These are my stats, which include times that I rode "more" after the group ride was over.)
All "irregulars" rides except the "Kerr Lake Loop" were on Saturdays.
Kerr Lake was Jul-3rd, a Friday.

There are also twelve (12) "DntW" rides, 
for 672.8 miles (avg 56.1 m. per ride) at 15.6 mph
(What is a "DntWLT" ride? 
Well, last year I found that I counted quite a few rides that were only LT and me as "irregular" rides;
I even counted Sunday rides and a Thanksgiving ride as "irregular". 
At the start of this year, I decided that two person rides with one other "irregular" (usually Dave) that had not been "announced" or "advertised" to the "irregulars" shouldn't really be categorized as "irregular" rides . . . so I made a new category . . . for non-"irregular" rides with one or two other "irregulars" on days or times that were not "announced" "irregular" rides. 
Perfectly clear, eh? 
Oh, and just to make it even more confused, if it was a "mountain ride", that overrides the fact that the ride would have otherwise been categorized as "DntWLT".
Absolutely clear, eh?
Oh, I also have a category for "other groups".)

Saturday and Sunday:

Of the 105 rides:
36 have been on Saturdays, totalling 2349.6 miles (65.3 m. per ride) at 16.0 mph.
Sundays, 30 rides, 1593.2 miles (53.1 m. per ride), 15.6 mph.

So, on average, I am less likely to ride on a Sunday than I am on a Saturday. 
And on Saturday I ride farther and faster. 
As an aside, those 36 Saturday rides occured on only 34 Saturdays,
because twice I did two rides on the same day. 

Two (2) of the mountain rides were on Saturdays, and
two (2) of the mountain rides were on Sundays. 
(The fifth mountain ride was on a Friday.)

The rest of the week:

Mondays, 2 rides (Memorial Labor Days, actually), 93.7 miles (46.9 m. per ride), 15.8 mph.
Tuesdays, 8 rides, 223.3 miles (27.9 m. per ride), 16.3 mph.
Wednesdays, 8 rides, 329.6 miles (41.2 m. per ride), 16.5 mph.
Thursdays, 8 rides, 294.2 miles (36.8 m. per ride), 16.3 mph.
Fridays, 13 rides, 474.7 miles (36.5 m. per ride), 15.9 mph.

When I do a Tuesday ride, it is usually a short recovery / speed combo ride.
Wednesday rides tend to be "all out" and a bit longer as I'm not worried about saving legs for the weekend.
Thursday are supposed also "all out" usually, but sometimes I worry about saving the legs. 
Fridays are usually "spin-out-the-legs" rides, but sometimes they are "all out".
Apparently, I only ride on Mondays if it is a legal holiday. 

Previous years:

I wonder. Hmmn.  (You'll be relieved to know that I had to "re-create" some data points for previous years.  The total rides, miles, and time is correct, but not necessarily the individual ride stats.  Sigh.)

Climbing data:

Well, I have been using "veloroutes" to estimate the amount of climbing on the rides. 
I won't break it out, but on average, I do more climbing per mile on Saturdays than on Sundays.
I.e, I go farther, faster, and more uphill on Saturdays than on Sundays. 
Despite that, I can think of two Sundays off the top of my head where I rode farther on Sunday after a Saturday "irregulars" ride than I did on Saturday -- and one of those times, the Sunday ride had more climbing (but it was "civilized" climbing, not pointless up-and-downs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment