Friday, August 31, 2012

To Follow the "Taste of Carolina 1200"

I gave in and signed up for Facebook, hoping to get some information on developments at the ToC.  However, it appears that I'll need about a year to figure out how to usefully use that Face-thiingy.

I did find a few "I'm 'here' now" type posts or whatever they're called on Facethingy.  No drama or excitement or build-up anything like that.

Then, I did learn one "useful" thing about one rider:  my friend Bob B. crashed the first night, after riding about 300-kms, and ... he is DNF.  NOT the information I was hoping to discover.

I'd swear off trying to find out more about ToC developments, but there are other friends out there (including Ricochet Robert -- who has author privileges and sometimes posts on this very blog), somewhere "down east" in NC, still making progress -- I hope!

BTW, if you liked Robert's PBP-post, consider encouraging him to write a ToC-post -- you'll probably have more influence than I do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, well, nothing I can do about Bob.  And nothing I can do about or for Ricochet nor Byron nor JP nor Joel nor Mary nor Ian nor Geof nor Bryan nor Ed nor JohnM nor Tim nor ... the list is too long.  However, on a personal note, I've had a reasonable and mostly fun August on the roads in NC on my bike despite not attempting any epic rides.

Aug / YTD summary:  

Q-1 tot: _22 rides; 1,610.3 m.; 108h42; 14.8 mph; 1947 RUSA kms
Q-2 tot: _29 rides; 2,711.5 m.; 182h48; 14.8 mph; 2700 RUSA kms
Ju1 tot: __9 rides; __751.5 m.; _49h10; 15.3 mph; _636 RUSA kms
Aug tot: _10 rides; __840.4 m.; _49h19; 14.9 mph; _963 RUSA kms
YTD tot: _70 rides; 5,913.7 m.; 396h58; 14.9 mph; 6246 RUSA kms.

4 comments:

  1. Tomorrow, Looking out my back door, not epic. Just 200K, R U in?

    R2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems strange, given that you have my e-mail address, that you'd leave this message here instead of e-mailing me.

      FYI, I am doing Kerr Lake Loop tomorrow. First time this year -- I did that route 9 times last year. Looking forward to checking out the scenery this year.

      ...M

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's terrible news about Bob! Thanks for relaying it here.

    Also, I'm sorry to hear that you, too, have been assimilated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ain't been assimilated, yet.

      Sara H wrote that she saw I'd joined Facebook and thought "Hell had frozen over", then she read this blog post.

      Well ... "Hell thaws out" at 10 pm tonight -- that's when the ToC-1200 riders have to be done. I got a regular, "old-fashioned" e-mail from Robert that he and Byron had finished at 86h00. So ... temps near Hell are already climbing back up. ;-)

      ...M

      Delete