Friday, June 14, 2013

Jun-12: An Errand Ride

The 48-mile errand ride wore me out.

I did the ride during the hottest part of the day,
And on the first day this year where the temperature reached 90F at RDU airport,
And I did get quite close to the airport,
But I don't think the heat was what wore me out.

I didn't eat during the errand,
And I hadn't eaten much earlier in the day,
But I don't think that lack of calories in the tank was the problem.

No, what I think wore me out is that
It is frickin' hilly in north Raleigh, inside the city limits,
Especially near "North Hills."

This mostly "in town" ride had more climbing per mile
Than even the hilliest local randonneuring routes.
According to a quick RWGPS map I drew (but am not saving / releasing),
This little 48-mile errand route had 6% more climbing per mile than Byron's L-L-L perm.
[By the way, RWGPS comes up with over 8000 ft of climbing for L-L-L.] 

Even though I know that certain areas inside the city limits are quite down-and-up,
I always seem to forget, until near the end of the latest "errand ride."
=============================================== 
Jun-12

miscellaneous "errand ride"; 48.2 m.; 3h12 in-motion; 15.0 mph.

Q-1 tot: _11 rides; __940.3 m; _64h42; 14.5 mph; _1275 RUSA kms.
A-M tot: _13 rides; _1499.1 m; 104h13; 14.4 mph; _2061 RUSA kms.
Jun tot: __2 rides; __426.7 m; _29h31; 14.4 mph; __600 RUSA kms.
YTD tot: _26 rides; _2866.1 m; 198h28; 14.4 mph; _3936 RUSA kms.
 
This ride was "hilly" (it was actually just a lot, a LOT, of creek crossings) even though I avoided the toughest climb(s) at the start and near the end by taking a flatter options through a residential area.  It was also disappointing to realize that I had "crawled" past a key turn near the end and thus added an unintended longer climb; it pays to keep one's head up. 

1 comment:

  1. In some ways, this post is ridiculous.

    Prime among those ways is that I have NO idea of what the errand was and NO idea of what the route was.

    ReplyDelete