Friday, May 18, 2018

Mar-07: "Taylor's Gin"

On the verge of completing our NC-P-12-Explorer-Challenges,
We let Bob choose among two or three logical options.
He chose "Taylor's Gin" because it seemed the easiest for him to drive to,
Even though not the closest.

This ride/route would complete Bob's Explorer Challenge.
And be the 11th month for Iva and me.

Below is a copy of route-owner Tim's RWGPS map:  


In response to advertising, BridgetJ #12462 joined us for the ride.
Who is "us"?
Bob #5843, Iva #7702, me #6218.

Bob and I were each somewhat familiar with the route,
Because "Taylor's Gin" is essentially a shortened version of the Lake Gaston Perm.
I've done LKG once; Bob probably twice;
And some of the roads have made multiple appearances on Taste of Carolina or
Carolina Spring 1200 grand randonnees -- events for which each Bob and I have volunteered.

In fact, on the homeward bound leg, I stopped to take the pic below,
Simply because it was in front of that abandoned house where
I tried to put a cheap rain cape over RickB's (#2806) head the previous October,
During the second day of the Taste of Carolina, 2017 edition.
It was rather amusing in the heavy-ish rain and wind and the plastic trying to choke off Rick's air supply.
Ricky did ask if I was trying to kill him.  

Back to the Taylor's Gin ride:
The weather was a bit chillier than we expected,
And perhaps the outbound leg was into a slight headwind.

Either that, or I forgot to bring some warm-ish hand-gear.
As a result, I purchased some cotton brown jersey work gloves at the "Dollar Store"
Across from the turn-around control,
To use as long-finger "liners" under my short-finger cycling gloves.

Everyone was somewhat warmly dressed.
Remember, this was north-central North Carolina in early March;
Not Maine, not Massachussetts, not Michigan, not Minnesota, not Montana.
I don't know why I listed states starting with "M",
I probably should have used states starting with "N", so:  
Not North Dakota, not Nebraska, not New Jersey, not New York, not New Hampshire.
Not any northern USA location, nor anywhere in Canada for that matter. 
So the definitions of "chilly" and "warm clothing" should be adjusted accordingly.

An unposed pic from the finish will suffice to finish this blog post:
Bridget in white.  Bob in orange.  Iva in red.  [Photo by me.]

No comments:

Post a Comment