Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Apr-27: Raleigh 300 - Volunteering

As I had promised, I wrote a pre-ride report and sent it to the NC-rando-list-serve:
    ( pre-ride report )  
Text:
DAWGS: 
  • on Riverside Rd, at approx 78.7 miles, just before the right turn onto Joel Jessup Rd, there is a LARGE Rotweiller on the right side of the road, he will come out into the road.  I don't ever recall that black demon from previous rides.  Use prudence and be CAREFUL.  I dismounted outbound, keeping the bike between me and the demon; shouting "NO" seemed to distract / derail him enough to get by.  Homeward bound, Harvey tried to outrun the demon, and it was amusing when the demon tried to change direction slightly after getting onto the road surface -- his feet slid out from under him and he belly-slid a foot or more before retreating to his yard.  He was, however, still game to come back barking / growling at me.  Be aware! 
  • on the southbound leg of Fork Creek Mill Rd, about half-way between the 90-degree left turn to stay on Fork Creek Mill and NC-705, there is a pack of 4 or 5 dawgs on the right-hand side of the road.  A couple German Shepherds, what looks to be a Shelty / Collie mix, and at least one more dawg.  The blonde Shelty / Collie looking dawg is the worst.  They all came out into the road, but the Shelty / Collie was the worst, apparently an expert at getting in front of your front wheel.  They were just as annoying on the return.  Be  aware! and be careful.   
  • there were some other dogs that made noise, but did not present a problem. 
Pot-holes: 
  • outbound on Lindley Mill Rd, on the second bridge, there is large, deep, wheel-buster that appeared since the 200 brevet 16 days ago.  It is located exactly in the path that a cyclist is likely to be riding.  Be aware!  Pace-liners may want to open up some space between each other before getting there. 
  • on the return leg on Lindley Mill Rd, on the bridge just before the turn onto Old Switchboro Rd, the surface is a mess and could be a problem as some of the holes / gaps could wreck your ride.  Pace-liners may want open some space between each other before getting there. 
  • There was another large, deep, wheel-buster in the middle of the lane, a cyclist's normal line would between the edge of the road and that pot-hole.  I couldn't tell how deep the hole was since there was a lot of water standing in the hole.  That's likely a prescription for the hole getting larger before the 27th.  I realized where I was when I saw the hole, and commented to Harvey that we were on the last incline before reaching a notable landmark / end of that particular road.  Unfortunately, I did not stop to make a note on the cue sheet and I cannot recall which road -- aargh.  
  • There are many smaller pot-holes (that could open up further during the week), including much of the distance from the start to Davis Dr, but none presented as a wheel-buster.  Just stay aware.

============================================  
I had to work Saturday afternoon and again early Sunday,
So I would be useless as an en-route volunteer for the brevet.

But I could get in a 40-mile ride by riding to the start and back in the morning, and
Go into work in the afternoon.

That would also make me available for any before the start chores that Alan might need doing.
However, the most useful thing to do before the start was:
STAY OUT OF ALAN and DOROTHY'S WAY. 

I did chat with a few of the riders.
Including Ed Boltz, for what would prove to be the last time ever.
Miss you, Ed. 

I also chatted with McDave.
Dave had done a pre-ride of the 200 brevet.
I had chided him for not doing a pre-ride report.
When Dave saw me, he indicated that he had seen my pre-ride report, and
He said, "now I get it about a pre-ride report."
RBA Alan and McDave.  Dave showing off his K-Hound jersey.  [photo by me, using Dave's smartphone]

Dave i s a good guy,
Even if he did attend / graduate from Purdue University.  :-O

No comments:

Post a Comment