Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Jul-09: 64+ for 64

Once a year, July 9th rolls around. 
I usually try to get in a ride on the 9th, but 
I don't always succeed. 
 
My "cycling lifetime" is rather short, 
The "lifetime" for which I have records is a bit shorter, as it dates back to only 2004. 
With luck, the following chart extracted from my Excel records will be readable. 
The chart shows what I've recorded for each July 9th beginning in 2004. 
 
2020 Jul 9 -> H'cutt-Norwood-BJP-"old'TT'course+2xColey-BJP-N'wd-Durant-H'cutt 1105, solo  --  80-90 F  --   5h28 64.9
2019




2018 Jul 9 Raleigh - Berea - Raleigh (RBR) 109 0500, solo    --     4h54    --    temp 60F@ start, chilly 67.8
2017 Jul 9 Bahama Beach 103 (3-Hayes, 65.9-m)    --    61st birthday ride 0600, solo    --     4h45 65.9
2016 Jul 9 PUE:  Irregulars Falls Lake Loop w/ Ags, Iva, BobH    --    elapsed  2h44 38.4
2015 Jul 9   --> Oxford 104 -->   w/ LL (until Lawrence Rd inbound)    --    Oxford  4h21 77.0
2014 Jul 9   --> Oxford 104 -->   6 am start, Oxford   4h14 77.0
2013




2012




2011 Jul 9   --> PUE:  Long AFR --> Char Grill -->   w/  Smitty, Mallet    +    G + W, Doug + Karen, Kim 71.2
2010 Jul 9 BJP:  Coley-(DocN-Bap-view-Virgil)-(DocN-Kemp-Virgil)- 2/3 of Coley   54.1
2009 Jul 9 BJP:  Coley-DocN-Kemp-Virgil northish breeze 37.1
2008




2007




2006 Jul 9 home:  Crdmr, Stem, Hester Rd, Wilton, Old Frnk, Evans, Pokomoke coxis pain from < 30 m to 48 m 68.3
2005 Jul 9 PUE:  Falls Lake Loop   41.2
2004




 
[Okay, the above chart was readable when drafting / typing this post, but 
is decidedly not readable once published.]  
 
If I blogged a ride in the above chart, there is a link to that blog report. 
Note that the blog was begun in 2009. 
[There was a time when I blogged every ride -- within hours or days of the ride. 
But then "Serendipity" indicated strongly "leave me out of your blog." 
And another indicated that they were afraid to say anything lest that make into the blog. 
On that immediately above, I can keep a secret. 
Regardless, I've typically not blogged certain rides because of "them peoples."]

[Blogger has certainly made some/many of the edit functions more difficult.  And these are supposedly improvements.] 

=================================  
 
This July 9th, I didn't get around to riding until 11:05 am. 
Was I waiting for the heat to set in? 
That would have been stupid. 
So there must have been some other reason for the late start. 
A reason that is not being revealed here. 
 
The plan was to ride the downslope on Honeycutt Rd and turn left on Durant Rd. 
Then take Durant to Brassfield Rd and then use Coachman's Way, etc. thru the neighborhood. 
However, when I got to the Durant intersection, 
there were a couple cars behind me that were signalling that they were turning onto Durant, and 
there were two or three cars on Durant at the stop-sign ready to proceed my direction on Durant, and 
there was another brace of cars on Durant heading the opposite direction. 
But there was only one car on Honeycutt facing me. 
So, I decided to continue straight on Honeycutt with apparently less traffic. 
 
Durant is smoother and wider than Honeycutt, and has the 1.4-mile long incline 
Whereas Honeycutt has two or three climbs, each shorter than the one on Durant, but significantly steeper. 
But the thing that threw the balance to riding Honeycutt was the prospect of less car traffic. 
In case you're curious:  there was only a couple cars that passed me on the 3 addtnl miles of Honeycutt. 
 
Honeycutt T's into Possum Track Rd a half-mile from where the neighborhood route 
Crosses Six Forks Rd to get onto Norwood Rd proper. 
And making that left onto Possum Track, a straight quarter mile later, one is on Six Forks Rd. 
Distance until getting onto Norwood Rd proper is the same for the two options. 
 
Down and up on Norwood to Mt Vernon Church Rd to (near) Pleasant Union Elementary (PUE), 
Then straight onto the "flat" couple miles of Pleasant Union Ch Rd to Blue Jay Point County Park. 
 
Blue Jay Point County Park is the traditional start/finish of my old "TT/cadence" route
I snapped a pic of the water fountain at BJP to provide proof that the fountain was operating. 
 
It was 10.5-miles from my start to the water fountain. 
That allowed me to confirm my pre-ride calculations: 
  • 10.5-miles to BJP, plus 
  • 29.6-miles of the "TT/cadence" course, plus 
  • 7.3-miles, twice down and up Coley Rd -- once outbound, once inbound, plus 
  • 10.5 miles from BJP back to the start/finish location. 
  • That would give me just over 65-miles for the entire ride, and that would suffice. 
I noted that I covered the 10.5-miles to the water fountain in 45-minutes in-motion. 
Four climbs in that 10.5-miles had reduced my avg pace to only 13.8-mph. 
[Well ... the first mile had been on sidewalks, where the avg pace had only been ~ 11-mph. 
So, I had likely avg'd approx 14.2-mph after that "sidewalk mile."]
 
Following the "TT" course, I retraced the 2.5-miles to get back to PUE and Mt Vernon Ch Rd. 
MVC is a short mile down, followed by some steep up and then a more gentle(?) incline to NC-50. 
[My friend "Snapper" used to complain about that when Irregulars rides started from PUE.] 
 
After crossing NC-50, the "TT/cadence" route is flat-tish for 8-miles until Doc Nichols Rd. 
["Flat-tish" -- ha!  I grew up in a true FLAT-land, would have thought it wasn't flat-tish back then.] 
 
However, that 8-miles was interrupted after 5+ miles for the side-trip down and up on Coley. 
On this ride, that meant turning onto Coley Rd after riding 20.2-total-miles in 1h27 in-motion: 
Avg pace to that point therefore 13.9-mph (and the 9.7-miles from BJP avg'ing that pace). 
 
It took half-an-hour for me to ride the 7.3-mile round-trip on Coley. 
That suggests and avg pace of 14.6-mph for that segment, and 
The avg pace for the total 27.5-miles to that point was 14.1-mph. 
 
[You might be thinking that this report is all about the distances and avg pace of the ride. 
Well, that is the case. 
Because that is what I was paying attention to during the ride. 
That is, I was trying to push my pace a bit to get in better habit of going a little harder/faster.] 
 
On the "TT/cadence" course, it is right at 10-miles from Coley to get back to Coley Rd. 
That 10-miles includes: 
  • The false-flat slight decline on Leesville Rd, then 
  • The fun downslope 1.9-miles on Doc Nichols (in 6-minutes or slightly less), then 
  • A one-mile gentle incline on Olive Branch Rd -- gentle(?) -- sometimes not so gentle, then 
  • Half-a-mile flat section on NC-98, followed by 
  • 1.3-miles of Kemp down and UP (the UP being 100 ft in one-half mile), then 
  • 2.3-miles on the incline which is Virgil Rd, and finally 
  • The flat half-mile to get back to Coley Rd. 
  •  
  • Hmmn, I think of that 10-miles as having only 3 or 4 turns, but 
  • It is actually 6 turns. 
Depending on one's abilities and in-shapeness, 
That 10-miles can be an opportunity to improve one's avg pace, or
To lose it completely. 
 
When I got back to Coley Rd, my cycle confuser indicated 37.6-miles with 2h40 in-motion. 
I.e., it had taken 43-minutes to cover those 10.1-miles -- an avg pace of 13.9-mph. 
 
The second time down Coley was as enjoyable as the first time. 
However, on the return, at about 42-total-miles into the ride, 
I realized that the heat, etc. had gotten to me, and 
The last 22 or 23 miles were going to be a slog. 
 
I didn't keep track of any further intermediate mileages / time in-motion. 
I did complete the "TT" course, returning to the water fountain at BJP. 
 
Knowing I could refill my 2 bottles at the fountain, I consumed most of my remaining water, but 
I did pour the last few ounces onto my head and neck once I got to the fountain. 
 
I refilled both bottles, but only after pouring some additional water on my head, neck, and shoulders. 
The water from the fountain wasn't the best tasting water I have ever experienced. 
It wasn't very chilly water, either. 
But it was cooler than the air temperature, which was roughly 90F by then, and 
The water was wet. 
Cooler than the air temp and wet -- those were all I needed to complete the ride. 
 
Retracing, again, across Pleasant Union Ch Rd to Norwood Rd, then 
Down and up to get to the intersection with Six Forks Rd. 
The eastbound climb on Norwood is longer but not as steep as the westbound climb. 
 
My plan on reaching the stop-sign at Six Forks Rd was to cross over and 
Ride through the Coachman's Way neighborhood, which would be nicely shaded all the way. 
 
However, the traffic on 6-Forks was ping-ponging me. 
Car from the left -- car from the right -- car(s) from the left -- car(s) from the right. 
Rinse, repeat. 
 
Finally, although there was traffic coming from the right, there were no vehicles coming from the left, 
So I modified my planned route and turned right onto Six Forks Rd. 
That would give me a long mile-and-half on Six Forks to get to Durant Rd. 
Then Durant would be about 2 miles of gentle decline to the stop-sign at Honeycutt. 
[Sometimes, to keep to the "one-line" per sentence or clause, 
To maintain the "verbose Haiku," I have to replace words or phrase with less elegant choices.]
Honeycutt would be one-mile of non-trivial upslope mostly without shade, then flat, and 
Then the mile on the sidewalks. 
 
Somewhere during the last few miles, I decided to stop by TLC-for-Bikes
To tell Gary that I expected him to get in his 64-mile ride ten days after I got in mine. 
I did manage to do that although the shop was CROWDED with customers and bikes. 
 
As I left the bike shop, I ended up in conversation with someone a couple years older than me. 
He was originally from Edinburgh, Scotland, but had lived in the U.S. for 20 or more years. 
We chatted about bikes and riding them and also about soccer. 
I mentioned that I had had no interest at all in soccer until the amazing result from the 
Leicester City club when it won the 2015-16 Premier League title after 5000-1 odds. 
I forget the gentleman's name (maybe we never exchanged names), but 
I was surprised when he indicated that his club was Liverpool. 
I was expecting either Celtic or Rangers. 
Maybe Liverpool is his English PL club, and he also supports a Scotland PL club? 
 
My cycle confuser indicated 63.97-miles when I got the bike shop. 
So when the above-mentioned fellow asked about my prospects of getting to 64-miles on the day, 
I told him that I only had a flat one-mile on mostly sidewalks to ride, and 
I was already at 63.97-miles, so I figured I would easily make at least 64-miles. 
The fellow agreed. 
 
Upon reaching the end of my ride, my cycle confuser showed 64.9-miles, with 
A total in-motion time of 4h49. 
That means I covered the 27.3-miles since the beginning of the second Coley loop 
(the final 22 or so miles which were a slog) 
In 2h09, for and avg pace of 12.6-mph. 
 
Final / total stats on the day:  64.9miles, 4:49 in-motion, 13.5-mph avg pace. 
 
A very lame story, but one that I'll be sticking with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment