Sunday, April 11, 2010

Apr-11: This is a Recovery Ride?

I started about 9:15-9:20 from BJP. When I turned onto MVC, I had ~ 2.5 miles @ 12.4 mph. I laughed.
I saw "the Mallet" climbing out-of-the-saddle while I was descending MVC. "Hey, Paul!" "Hey, Martin!"

Lynn intersected me just after I turned off MVC onto Old Creedmoor. I told her I was VERY slow.
She stayed hooked on until the first little bump, and said "I'll ride ahead and either wait or circle back."
I called back "I may be too slow all day to be of any help -- just ride on if you need to."
When I turned off Leesville onto Doc Nichols, I had 12.4 miles @ 13.2 avg mph. I really laughed at that. 

My legs started feeling better on the DocNichols downslope.
When I got to Olive Branch, Lynn looked to be having a feast. She had about 64 miles at that point. 

We made a plan. I tried to block the wind for her. 
Lynn would stay in my slipstream until a "serious" climb, then she would slide past and turn back at the next stop sign.
I was gradually able to find a higher cadence and pace.

I had a good (Martin) cadence, even on upslopes / uphills, but not a lot pressure on the pedals.
At Old Weaver / New Light, I had 48.1 miles @ 15.0 avg.
Lynn did not want to do Ghoston - Peed - MVC to BJP.
But did want to drop quite a few "6 am" clothes with me instead of carrying them for another 68 miles.
So I finished New Light - Six Forks. Total: 53.4 miles @ 15.0 avg mph. 

300 km in thirteen days. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr-11: 

BJP:  DocN-BapMarina-Southview-Kemp-Patterson - lake loop - NL/6F finish; 53.4 m.; 3hrs, 33min in-motion time; 15.0 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; 60 hrs, 38 min; 15.5 mph.
Apr tot: _6 rides; __365.3 m.; 23 hrs, 55 min; 15.3 mph.
YTD tot: 22 rides; 1,303.5 m.; 83 hrs, 34 min; 15.4 mph.  
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I ended up having to do the Roberts Chapel short due to time constraints. RC is a great road and was beautiful and deserted.

    Very interesting misty morning going down to the water at all the lake crossings.

    At one point I was riding along a ridge with low sun on my right and a mist bank on my left. My shadow was clearly visible on the mist bank and it had a raindow halo around it - I'd never seen anything like it.

    68m and home by 10:15. Then off to the races - children's adventure races at Harris Lake Park. I had been press ganged into racing with both Doug and Gillian as Anne had done the Tar Heel 10miler yesterday.

    Cheers,

    Mallet

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post caught my eye yesterday, April 1st, 2019 -- essentially nine years after the ride.

    In 2010, I blogged EVERY ride, as soon as I could. I lost that impetus several years ago, but I wish I could get back in the habit of blogging every ride as soon as completed. A lot of memories are lost without that act of "instant" blogging. (Oh, and in case you're wondering, Facebook just is NOT the same as it is extremely difficult to return to old posts.)

    The really interesting stuff from that ride, well, actually the crossing of paths with Lynn while I was driving en route to Blue Jay Point County Park ("BJP" in the post), was the KEY interesting thing of the day / ride. However, even nine years later, I cannot and will not type for posterity the contents of the quick conversation with Lynn that occurred on the side of the road. That conversation could make for a very amusing anecdote, trust me.

    Oh, the second thing that would contribute to amusement is that, at the time of this ride and blog post, I wasn't supposed to know that Lynn was training for the PacTour Elite Tour later in 2010. In fact, the primary amusing stuff related to Lynn training for the Elite Tour, and that's as much as I can type without letting the cat out of the bag.

    This morning, I created a RWGPS route to show where I rode with Lynn on this, my "recovery ride."

    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29617359?beta=false

    ReplyDelete