Thursday, May 10, 2012

May-05: Detouring Egypt Mtn 210-km Perm

After finding (the previous Sunday) that the Sims Bridge over the Tar River is being replaced, Ricochet Robert joined me to check-out the most logical detour I could come up with that is cycling-friendly.

I can't really type that we "explored", because only a few miles of the quite long detour were new to me -- even Ricochet only experienced a dozen or so miles on "new roads" (I'm guessing as I can no longer recall what routes others have ridden).

I was set to not like the detour.  But once again, the roads in north-central North Carolina have reminded me of something my non-rando cycling friend Gary says:  "the only problem with cycling here is that EVERY road is a good road to ride upon."

The intended 210-km "Egypt Mtn" course lulls one into the ride easily, with gentle rollers over open ridges.  The detour is mostly a tree-tunnel plus what some deem a nasty little climb sometimes called "the Ruin Wall".    Definitely NOT what I had in mind for early in the Egypt Mtn course.  But, you know what?  I really liked the detour routing and the resulting course.

How could I have set my mind to not like a couple of roads that I have enjoyed riding on several / many occasions?  How could one not like a Dr. Finch Rd / Foster Rd Ext / Foster Rd with at least two or three creek valleys to cross in only ~ 3 miles?  How could one not like a road on which one sees a "Barracuda" (at least I think it was a Barracuda -- guess I'll have to ride that road again to double-check)?

I intend to send in the detour routing and officially change the routing and distance while the Sims Bridge is being replaced (the original and ultimate intended route can be seen here).  Assuming Crista approves, the new (temporary) distance will be 221-kms.  I'm thinking that the many 10-K-hounds we had last year here in NC may have appreciated the large amount of "change" inherent in 221-kms; unfortunately, there seem to be fewer 10-K-hounds in the state this year.

When the bridge replacement is complete, I intend to return the course to its original routing.

The Public Information Release from the NC-DOT indicated a Sep-15th completion date; however, as of last Sunday, no noticeable work had been done to start removing the existing bridge; therefore, I'm thinking that the bridge could be out longer than mid-September.

Robert and I had a great day on the bike.  10 hours in mostly dry and mostly sunny conditions; 1 hour on the receiving end of a downpour!  What better way to spend a day is there?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
May-05:  

commute to --> detoured Warrenton - Egypt Mtn 210-km Perm; 148.6 m.; 9h53 in-motion; 15.0 mph; Egypt Mtn rando elapsed time:  10h55.  

Q-1 tot: _22 rides; 1,610.3 m.; 108 h, 42 m; 14.8 mph. 
Apr tot: _10 rides; 1,030.4 m.; _70 h, 54 m; 14.5 mph. 
May tot: __3 rides; __204.8 m.; _13 h, 39 m; 15.0 mph. 
YTD tot: _35 rides; 2,845.5 m.; 193 h, 16 m; 14.7 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment