Friday, October 11, 2019

Sep-13: Raleigh - Berea - Raleigh 109

Started in the deep pitch black that is 4:30 am in the middle of September.
Quiet roads in the dark.  Well, mostly quiet.

Careful at the turn off Old Weaver Trail onto Whitt Rd.
Sometimes there are gravel pebbles scattered on that turn.
Wouldn't want to hit one them wrongly and go crashing down.
Also wouldn't want to clip one of them and poke a hole in tyre and tube.

Doubly careful at the turn off Whitt Rd onto Dove Rd.
More likely to be gravel pebbles scattered on that turn than on the previous turn.

Did not see the woman that sometimes walks her dog at 0545 or so on Dove Rd.
I have no doubt that she is more regular at that than I am at riding on Dove Rd,
But I don't see her every time I ride at oh-dark-thirty.

When I do see her in the still pitch black dark,
I am sometimes confused as I approach her, heading in the opposite direction.
The lights on the dog are quite visible, but not of a pattern one expects or recognizes.
I apparently don't expect the pattern even after seeing it on most pitch black RBR rides.

Through Creedmoor just before 6 am.
If I get to and thru Creedmoor before 6 am, Main Street is not yet open.

Civil Twilight does not occur until I'm nearly to Berea.
But sometime between Shoofly and Culbreth, still during Naval Twilight,
There is enough light that I'm finally seeing due to the daylight
Instead of seeing due to the battery headlamp.

Still barely Civil Twilight when I arrive at the Berea Control.
It only took 2h16 today.
And 2:16 in-motion.
Obviously, all the stop-lights were on green this morning.

Only 6 minutes at the control today, but I did manage to snap a photo.
Low light when I snapped the pic.  And apparently I failed to hold the camera-phone perfectly steady.

The ride back felt easy and quick.
Quick, but not hurried, as I let the feet and pedals just circle about.

I finished using Durant Rd to Honeycutt Rd.
Less traffic that way than the filed finishing route of Six Forks all the way to Strickland Rd.

As I was zipping by Snapper's, I saw that his car was in his drive / parking area.
I skidded to a stop, reversed 40 yards, and proceeded to take a close up of his auto.
And texted same, with some lame harassing comment.
[Harvey responded with "stalker?"]

4 minutes to take and text the Snapper photo.
Another minute along the return for stop-lights and stop-signs.
2h18 elapsed on the return; 2:13 of that having been in-motion/

Back at my hovel in plenty of time to shower and do some laundry and some other chores.
And make it into the afternoon work shift with no left-over tiredness or whatever from the ride.
Darn near perfect ride.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment