Saturday, June 20, 2009

Jun-20: Solstice Century

Jun-20

PUE: Franklinton-Mitchener's X-roads-RockyFord-Epsom-Middleburg-return (mostly) via NC BR #1; w/ "Irregulars" Lt. Daaave, the Mallet, the Iceman, Iva, Norris, BobH, the Duke, Phil & guests Mark & Tito; 100.8 miles; est 4314 ft climbed ---> effort = 143; 6hrs, 23min; 15.8 mph avg pace. 

1st Qt. tot: 20 rides; 755.3 m.; 47 hrs, 31 min; 15.9 mph.
Apr tot: 13 rides; 666.4 m.; 42 hrs, 58 min; 15.5 mph.
May tot: 14 rides, 803.1 m.; 50 hrs, 39 min; 15.8 mph.
Jun tot: 9 rides, 418.5 m.; 27 hrs, 18 min; 15.3 mph.
YTD: 56 rides; 2643.5 m.; 168 hrs, 27 min; 15.7 mph. ("Fixed" some of the out-of-sync time riding.)

Just the facts now. I had tired legs from the get-go. Eventually, somewhere around Nutbush Creek, I could not hold on any more (except for short stints when the group waited). Aaargh!

Perhaps "in-depth" description and analysis, later.

[Edit, Sep-15:] est climbing is 4245 ft for the "course proper", plus 69 ft for "pre-ride" miles to get the century.
[Edit, May-2011.  "TrimbleOutdoors" map embedded (below).  Trimble gets a much lower climbing estimate.
[Edit, Jun-16-2019:  "Trimble" has "gone away," so I've replaced with a RWGPS embed.]  


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit:]
Other than to note:
  1. Thanks to the monster known as Phil for dragging me in from Grissom! 
  2. My heart rate at a little after 9 pm was still 84 bpm, and 
  3. I thought about just letting the group "go" on at Middleburg, but decided the honorable thing was to shout "WRONG WAY" ...
There is little else worthy of noting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments from the peloton:

From: PaulN
Date: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 2:57 pm
To: me 

You were right about PaulS.
I tricked him at the Wake County Line and took that sprint.
About a half mile later he caught me and started pulling us at 28 MPH down New Light to the Lake.
I was burned up by the time for Ghoston Hill, so I was last of the group of five to climb it.
Later, on Peed Road hill, PaulS dropped his chain, which allowed me to pass him.
But he caught me again on Mt. Vernon Church road.

About seven of us got in to PUE a few minutes after 1 PM...my ride time for 99.8 miles was 6:03.


Phil & I did not reach 28 mph on any part of Bruce Garner or New Light, unless I did on the "swoop" down to the bridge after the Holly Point bump. But Phil was pullng me in quite quickly for two very tired guys -- at least 23-25 on one or more occassions on the flat stuff.

Anyway, we finished at about 1:20 pm. My confuser had 100.8 miles in 6:23. Took it easy on G-P-MVC and it took 24 minutes to cover that last 4.7 miles.

PaulS really is too strong to ride with us. But he is a nice guy (don't tell him that), and most of the time can be "controlled" to back it down a bit pacewise.

From: Iva
Date: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 5:09 pm
To: Lt. Daaave, PaulS, PaulN, Norris, BobH, BobS, Phil, Tito, me
 

Thanks for a great ride today. As you know, it was my first century which I wouldn't have attempted six months ago, but did today thanks to you and the guys! Tito, BobS, and I went one mile down the road and back to get the 100. I would have stayed longer in the parking lot for post ride festivities, but I was hugely hungry. As usual, thanks for your detailed, well thought out route and for keeping all of us organized and on schedule.

No need to hang around on such a warm day. Glad you went home to cool off.

From: Lt. Daaave
Date: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 7:49 pm
To: PaulS, PaulN, Iva, Norris, BobH, BobS, me

Many thanks to Martin for putting together today’s ride. Very nice course and great company. The clouds were a welcome relief for the sun.

The best part of the planning was arranging for that cloud cover. Now, if only we could have had a NE breeze instead of the W or SW one.

From: BobS
Date: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 8:52 pm
To: PaulS, PaulN, Iva, Norris, BobH, me

Great fun! Appreciate your putting this together. My nap was sweet!

You know, we ought to put at least some of blame for the course on Lt. Daaave -- he of the "I hate an out-and-back course" fame. Otherwise, I might not have thought of the idea. (That's a lie, actually; I thought of this course before I knew Dave was so illogically adamant about out-and-back courses.)

From: Tito
Date: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 11:20 pm
To: me

Thanks for including me today. I enjoyed the guys, and the route itself was superb ---- little traffic, beautiful countryside and more. Your leadership was stellar.

Tito must be referring to my "leadership" from far back of the pack. Falling off the pace did have one major advantage -- I was behind Norris and BobH when they were struggling with their heart-rates just northeast of Oxford, but luckily I was close enough to call out that they were missing a turn. I am confident that Bob & Norris would have known how to get home once they popped into Oxford on Salem Rd, but it was better that they not.

I think I saw Tito on Sunday morning riding with yet another of his (apparently many) cycling acquaintences while I struggled westward on Carpenter Pond Rd into the breeze. Tito had the wind at his back.

No comments:

Post a Comment