Sunday, August 8, 2010

Aug-08: US BR #1 to Drewry and back

Late Saturday evening, Hans talked me into riding from PUE to Drewry or thereabouts, and back, on NC BR #1.  I agreed on condition that he be as willing to drop me off his back as I would be drop him off my front.

I left 10 minutes before he did.  He caught me before Grissom (11.4 miles into the ride), so you can see why I was concerned about our disparate abilities. 

I did have one extra disadvantage.  I started Six Forks to New Light and had to stop three times to scrape the pebbles off my rear tire.  The paving crew looked to be putting the finishing touches on the New Light paving ... and that threw up a LOT of new pebbles / scree onto the road.  The second time I stopped, I doubt any "rubber" of my tire was actually making contact with the road surface -- the tire was practically "paved" in small pebbles.  I had to dig several of them out of the tire's surface.  The disadvantage?  Hans was clever enough to start Peed to Ghoston to New Light, and had no noticeable scree with which to deal.

Nice, non-adventuresome ride on a nice morning with a slight, cooling headwind northbound in the morning.  Starting a little after 7 a.m., we had 60+ miles by noon.  The wind changed direction by the afternoon, so we had a not-quite-so-slight headwind southbound.  It also started to get more-than-a-bit warmer / hotter as the afternoon wore on.  We finished sometime before 4 p.m..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As mentioned above, the ride was a nice, non-adventuresome ride except for the fact that I was bitten by a dog at about 8:40 a.m., at 3538 Cannady Mill Rd -- which is just north of the Tar River, on the east side of the road.

After a short discussion with the woman that apparently lives at 3538 Cannady Mill Rd, and as the damage to me was only skin-deep, we continued the ride.  I did not see the dog when we again rode past 3538 Cannady Mill Rd in the afternoon.  I'm wondering if the owner's are "hiding" the dog by moving it to a relative's house.  If so, I hope that the people that live at 3538 Cannady Mill Rd will come clean about it.  I don't want to undergo the series rabies shots (as far as I know that is the still the treatment for a person that gets bitten by a rabid dog).  I also would not like to die.

If all goes well, I'll see some of you at Alan's Morrisville 200 km Brevet this coming Saturday.
If all does not go well, I may be in a hospital by Saturday morning.

On that happy note ... I close today's post about today's ride.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug-08: 

PUE: NC BR #1 to Drewry, and back; 105.3 m.; 6 hrs, 45 min in-motion time; 15.6 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: 31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Ju1 tot: 13 rides; __786.9 m.; _52 hrs, 36 min; 15.0 mph.
Aug tot: _2 rides; __173.6 m.; _11 hrs, 01 min; 15.7 mph.
YTD tot: 62 rides; 4,162.0 m.; 275 hrs, 45 min; 15.1 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment