Monday, January 1, 2018

Aug-13-2017: "Prisoner Relief" with Double-L

I had forgotten about this ride until reviewing my 2017 Excel cycling worksheet.
Therefore, I'm blogging something so I might recall the ride in the future.
---------------------------------------------------------    
U either know who "Double-L" is or U don't.

Both her cars were off the road.
The blue Accord for some engine work.
The maroon CRV because Double-L had managed to mangle the right-rear door, while in her driveway.

She sent me a message:
"It feels the same as when I first got home after the crash."
"I'm a prisoner in my house because I can't go anywhere."
 Since the crash, Double-L is very leery of car traffic.
Including traffic between her house and good cycling roads. 

My car was in fine fettle, so we arranged to ride together.
I collected Double-L and her bike.
We drove to the CVS from whence my main rando Permanents begin.
(Being a Sunday, we couldn't park and start from Shady Grove Church.)

The route noted in the Excel worksheet indicates:
  • Bay Leaf CVS to Mt. Vernon Church Rd, 
  • to Carpenter Pond Rd, 
  • to Virgil Rd, 
  • to Southview Rd, 
  • to a full loop on Baptist Church Rd, 
  • then retrace the route back to the Bay Leaf CVS. 

A strange thing is that when I draw that on RWGPS, the route comes in at 39.1-miles,
But the Excel spreadsheet indicates 40.9-miles.
I know that my cycle confuser is more accurate than that.
I know that Double-L's cycle confuser is more accurate than that.
However, I cannot recall where we got the extra miles.

Oh, now I do recall.
Double-L wanted to get in at least 40-miles, so
When we got back to the MVC / Pleasant Union Ch Rd corner,
We rode nearly a mile the "wrong" way, to Pleasant Union Church, actually, to get the extra.

What else do I recall nearly five months later?
Not much.
Maybe nothing.
Except that I seem to recall trying to take protective positions
Just behind and slightly further away from the fog line
When we were on MVC Rd and especially Carpenter Pond Rd.

Oh, and trailing / struggling to keep up on certain inclines.
For example, the short but somewhat sharp inclines on Southview,
The climb from Southview to Virgil on the return.

On some climbs, perhaps MVC going out and coming back,
Double-L may have backed off her pace to keep us closer together.
I'm not sure about that.


That was my third ride of the year with Double-L in 2017.
She didn't want to interfere with my rando rides.
Ha ha ha ha.
She didn't understand that more rides with her would almost certainly have helped on the RUSA rides.

And clearly, she was intent on getting to a certain goal independently.
Sometimes she is a bit stubborn on that point.
Sometimes?
----------------------------------------------------
40.9 miles  --  2h47 in-motion  --  14.7-mph avg in-motion
----------------------------------------------------

Previous ride in 2017 with Double-L. which was the 2nd of the year despite what the blog indicates:
    down-coley-and-up-4-and-a-half-times 

The first ride in 2017 with Double-L was not blogged.
The Excel file indicates it was 4-times looper on Coley Rd,
With a WNW->NW wind @ 10+ mph, which is good because that's an upslope tailwind (mostly), 
And some extra to make 30-miles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment