Friday, May 29, 2020

Nov-02-2019: Hicksboro 205 (reversed)

I originally designed the "Road to Hicksboro" to be ridden clockwise.
But added counter-clockwise so that we could finish NOT into the winter setting sun.
[Note: for the above link, I tried to access the RUSA website for the route description, 
But that function is either being blocked or all the Perm route descriptions have been deleted.] 

Understand that I think of the route clockwise.
I can see the route, even as I sit here, clockwise.
Well, more like I see the turns in my mind's eye in the clockwise direction.
I have ridden the course solo counter-clockwise, but
I have to concentrate very hard to see the turns counter-clockwise.

So, here is a "funny" -- the only one I recall as I type this on May-29-2020:
I was leading when we got to the 42.5-mile point, and
I hadn't brought a cue sheet with me, 'cuz who needs cue sheets?
But I was not 100% sure whether to turn or not.
So I asked the guys with GPS devices and the RWGPS map loaded thereon,
"Do we turn left here?"

In my defense, the house and grounds on that turn used to be beautiful,
But probably about six or seven years ago, the residents "moved on,"
And the new owners have not been able to keep the place to the previous standard
 ( google-street-view of the house )

Who made up the cast of characters this day?
  • BobB #5843 -- his 6th completed circuit of the "Road to Hicksboro", 
  • Ricochet Robert #6628, his 10th successful "Road to Hicksboro", 
  • Wilmington Rick #6985,  his 3rd "Hicksboro", and his first 200 (+) km ride anywhere since he broke his leg while training for the 2019 PBP.  Similar to his first 100 (+) km rando ride after recovering from the broken leg, I noticed no diminished ability. 
  • McDave #10234, his first "Road to Hicksboro", and
  • me #6218 -- my 14th completed "Hicksboro" circuit.  
Early on, I was trying to keep up, or at least close to the others on the many climbs.
However, maybe before reaching the 50-mile point,
I realized that in doing so, I was wearing myself out prematurely.
(More like I was already mostly worn out !)
So, I backed off on the climbs, and instead began spinning my way up the climbs.

Finally, a bit after leaving the penultimate control at Underwood Grocery,
My legs had recovered sufficiently that I could resume putting some effort into climbing.
And that allowed me to better keep up with the others.
Or perhaps they backed off their efforts somewhat?

I have no photos on the day.
I am unaware of photos by others on this day.

And since I have no real recollections of the ride beyond the limited bits shared above,
I close this post with an extract from the RUSA ride results function:

Permanent Route Name / #Distance Date Finishers DNF
NC: Road to Hicksboro / 1938 205 2019/11/02 5 0
Cert# RUSA# Name Club / ACP Code Time
RUSA-T93734 5843 B__, Bob Randonneurs USA / 933095 10:20
RUSA-T93735 6218 S__, Martin Randonneurs USA / 933095 10:20
RUSA-T93736 6628 B__, Robert D Randonneurs USA / 933095 10:20
RUSA-T93737 6985 R__, Richard A Randonneurs USA / 933095 10:20
RUSA-T93738 10234 MC_, David R North Carolina Bicycle Club / 933045 10:20
[I obviously chose this ride submission to show a small rebellion against the 
"must be in alphabetic order" guideline. 

I'm not the only one that occasionally shows that small amount of rebellion. 
There is a well-known local randonneur that sometimes does something similar to the above.
And I know there is well-known randonneuse in Maryland that sometimes does not follow the 
"must be in alphabetic order" protocol.]


I might not have bothered to blog this ride, except
This was the last "Road to Hicksboro" before the demise of the historic Perms Program.

 
One last set of information / statistics:
The first "Road to Hicksboro" was done on Apr-13-2013,
When Ricochet and I opened the account.

In those six-and-a-half years:
  • 19 different riders, 
  • in 21 different start groups, 
  • successfully completed the route 58 times. 
  • There were no DNF's. 
  •  
  • The average elapsed time to complete the route was  10h24, 
  • The minimum elapsed time was   9h00, 
  • The maximum elapsed time was  11h58.  

No comments:

Post a Comment