Sunday, May 31, 2020

Nov-20-2019: Neuse River Trail Populaire 101

standard start / finish
[The plan was that we, McDave and I, would the route today from the standard start location, 
And we would do the route the next day starting from the southern / turn-around location. 
That being allowed since the "start any timed control" protocol was implemented.]

Do I have access to a RWGPS map of this course?
Probably, but at this moment, I don't feel like going looking for it.

All photos are courtesy of McDave.
"Group" selfie by McDave at the Noon start.
It seemed quite interesting at the time.  Can't recall for-sure, but I think this was the aftermath of clearing some storm damage.

"Group" selfie by McDave at the turn-around.  This is also the mid-way intermediate control on the NRT-200 perm-pop, and is the location where the "committee" discussed and decided upon the NC 2018 "Rando of the Year" and "Comeback of the Year" and "Volunteer of the Year" -- respectively McDave, MikeD, NCBob (aka, BikerBob).  [I note those awards here because I mentioned that to McDave while we were there.]

Don't know for whom this message was intended, but it was near the end of our ride.  [The timestamp on the photo shows that this was 41-minutes before the finish-photo.]

"Group" selfie by McDave.  Dave had "complained" that I had not smiled for either of the previous pics, so I made an effort for this one.  [I do NOT have a disappearing upper lip when I smile -- if I try to show my teeth, the result it atrocious at best.]
Permanent Route Name / #Distance Date Finishers DNF
NC: Neuse River Populaire / 3094 101 2019/11/20 2 0
Cert# RUSA# Name Club / ACP Code Time
RUSA-T94214 10234 McD_, David R North Carolina Bicycle Club / 933045 04:41
RUSA-T94215 6218 S__, Martin Randonneurs USA / 933095 04:41

This was my first time doing this route.
It made my November P-ride.
At this time, I don't feel like figuring out the consecutive P-count.
  
McDave did it MANY times last year as part of his pursuit of K-Hound and P-60.
His pursuit of K-Hound was actually pursuit of 10234-RUSA-kms.
And because of the demise of the Perms program combined with vacation travel,
Dave let his P-60 pursuit go after getting to P-59.
Instead, Dave made sure to get his R-60 on December 2nd, and
To snag 10234-exact kms.

[As noted above, the plan was for me to join Dave the next day,
Doing the route "reversed," starting 0700 or 0800.
But Dave also needed to get done in time to be at a meeting with his son and a college recruiter.
Further, although the route, with its many bridges, most every one requiring two 90-degree turns,
One to get onto the bridge and a second to get off the bridge,
Fit Dave's style and abilities,
Those repeated turns were like repeated stops and restarts for me.
They wore me out.
Or maybe it was the repeated accelerations to re-catch McDave?

Regardless, if I rode the next day with Dave,
I would slow him down and interfere with him getting easily to his meeting.

So, with over-tired legs from what should have been an easy ride, and
Not wanting to interfere with Dave's meeting the next day,
I begged off riding with Dave the next day.

As a result, this was my last ride of a Permanent route before the demise of traditional program.
Sad.] 


No comments:

Post a Comment