Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Apr-14: Coley Rd Again

Originally posted to Facebook. Copying here so I can find it in the future.
The story is somewhat enhanced compared to what was posted on FB.
And I've tried to return to my style once described (by John Lee) as "verbose haiku".
[Yessss, that was name-dropping.] 
---------------------------------------------------

The purpose for today's ride: Someone to get her right shoulder to "lock up" such that it will be easier for her PT to understand what happens to that shoulder when she rides (even only a mile or two).

6 am start. WHAT are those clouds doing over there?
It was clear when I came outside at 5:30, and
Breeze out of the N, more or less.

First northward passage on Hickory Grove Rd, my fingers and hands are cold.
After we turned around, I "suggested" to Someone that we should pull into the gas station at the southern end of the 1-mile road so that I can put on pair of brown jersey work gloves under my short-fingers.

Ah, that is MUCH better.

Someone mentions that it is much lighter much earlier this week.
Seems to be about 21-minutes earlier sunrise as compared to last week.

Down Coley and up, rinse, repeat.
Heading for 50-miles.
However, just after the turn-around on the 4th loop of 5, zhip-zhip-zhip-zhip,
Something on my bike is rubbing!
Turned out the rear wheel had become "untrue" and was rubbing against the frame. Dang!
Turned I out I had broken a spoke -- my first ever broken spoke.
Nearly 78-thousand miles (of recorded) cycling history before my first broken spoke.

I putzed my way back to the cars to complete V-50 #3
(38.5-miles on return to the vehicles, 2:49 in-motion, 3h02 elapse)
Someone continued on to get her 50-miles.

As I noted previously, there is no stopping to take photos when riding with Someone on a 50-mile ride.
But since she rode on while I putzed on, I stopped at the upper (south) end of Coley to
Take some photos of the two ponds there.
I should be able to get a better pic than this but I need to figure out the best angle and composition (and an hour earlier would have helped, too).
The other pond. At least for this one, the sun was behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment