Thursday, May 13, 2010

May-13: Spin-out-the-legs, or "TT"

I had intended to spin-out-the-legs yesterday.  But ... didn't happen.
So today was spin-out-the-legs day, with a bit of "maybe I'll be able to go sem-fast".

In the first few miles I learned that 400 kms seem to leave a "reminder" in the legs.
I had had "great" feeling legs for at least 36 hours, but even flat with a quartering tailwind brought on residual fatigue pulses in the legs.
I kept pedaling.
Sometime after seven or so miles, I must have tuned everything else out.
Just keep pedaling with cadence.
Suddenly at 11 miles, a stop sign and a turn.
Keep pedaling with cadence.
I don't recall going past Doc Nichols Rd; I wasn't turning there, anyway.
I U-turned at Panoramic Drive.  12.85 miles @ 16.5 mph pace.  Not bad.

Going back, into the quartering headwind.
Some early small bumps cut the speed to 13 mph or slower.
Try to keep up the cadence; don't worry about the pace.
I don't recall going past Virgil or Coley.
I don't recall the "up" to get to Hickory Grove Rd.
I barely recall the "up" to get to Kemp Rd.
Maybe all those long rando miles are helping me to tune out trivia.
And maybe the Uwharries are helping me to ignore "bumps".

I do recall keeping it together on the slope up to the Wake CL:
I recalled Lee telling me "go for the line" after JohnH had snake-bit on a pothole;
I recalled leading others toward that line at 26.5 mph earlier this year;
I recalled blasting past Lee and LT on the "welcome back, Tito" ride in December.

I recall nothing after the CL until the turn onto MVC.
The "up" on MVC to PUE wasn't bad, although I did drop to 8.5 mph.
I worked to keep up the cadence on Pleasant Union Church Rd to BJP.

Second fastest ride of the calendar year.
Hope I have legs on Saturday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May-13: 

BJP:  Panoramic U-turn; 25.7 m.; 1hrs, 30min in-motion time; 17.0 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Apr tot: 10 rides; __717.9 m.; _45 hrs, 27 min; 15.1 mph.
May tot: _5 rides; __398.9 m.: _35 hrs, 33 min; 14.0 mph.
YTD tot: 31 rides; 2,055.0 m.; 136 hrs, 39 min; 15.0 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment