Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ricochet Tells a Story

Last Saturday, about 50-miles en route to:
 
And as we approached and passed the "Rock of Ages Winery",
Robert started to tell a story.

Hear me when I tell you this:  Robert can tell a story!
I've heard every one of those vignettes in that PBP write-up,
I've also heard the ones he never got around to writing-up.
The write-up is excellent (okay, I may be biased).
When he is in the mode to properly tell the stories ... excellent is an inadequate adjective.

Robert includes animations and sound-effects, and his timing is superb.

So ... we are about 50-miles into the ride,
Approaching and passing the winery,
And Robert says he has a story about the last time he had ridden L-L-L.
Within 5 seconds, sound-effects.
"Fantastic!", I thought, "Robert is in good story mode.  This should fill 20-minutes or more."
I'm smiling inside.

Robert restarts the story so Bob can hear the entire presentation.
He repeats the same sound-effect.
I know this is going to be an enjoyable 15 or 20 minutes.

Instead, 20 seconds later, the story was done.
Complete story in 25 or 30 seconds.

Gee, a 20-minute story would have been great.
It is not like we are short on time.
We have another 13-miles to the control.
And another 102-kms after that.

Oh, well.
A story that only takes 30-seconds to tell is better than no story at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment