Previously, I mentioned a joke JP made in the introduction of Dean "Phun Physio" F as the 2012-NC-Randonneur-of-the-Year. Condensing, the jist was that Dean's Permanents were the most ridden in North Carolina, but maybe not if one didn't count Dean's rides, er, completed circuits. Luckily (?), with the extract that Ian did, and knowledge of who the various route-organizers are (one can always check the RUSA website), and some other skills, we can find out. [Warning: I removed the route-organizer and 10K-Hound info manually, it is possible that I made a mistake or two, or three.]
The Permanents (200k or more):
|ALL||sans organizer||sans 10K-Hounds|
|2012 -- Route Name||circuits||kms||circuits||kms||circuits||kms|
|Lookin' Out My Back Door / 1468||77||15,477||66||13,266||51||10,251|
|Leesville-Leasburg-Leesville / 831||60||12,240||50||10,200||26||5,304|
|Warrenton + Egypt Mountain / 1444||26||5,548||17||3,625||11||2,343|
|Ammons-Whiteville / 1380||27||5,454||11||2,222||11||2,222|
|Tar Heel 200 / 589||26||5,200||24||4,800||22||4,400|
|Lumberton-Ellerbe 200K / 1391||25||5,075||14||2,842||14||2,842|
|OakElmOak / 1551||17||3,553||14||2,926||9||1,881|
|Carolina Crossroads / 1279||12||2,400||9||1,800||6||1,200|
|Showdown in Black Creek / 481||10||2,040||10||2,040||6||1,224|
|Lake Gaston 210K / 1242||9||1,890||6||1,260||6||1,260|
|Yanceyville Ramble / 480||8||1,664||8||1,664||8||1,664|
|Big Bike to Performance Bike / 803||6||1,302||4||868||4||868|
|Sauratown 200K / 412||6||1,284||1||214||1||214|
|Brushy Mountain Lassooo / 1013||6||1,236||4||824||4||824|
|Carthage Coffee Run / 952||6||1,206||6||1,206||6||1,206|
|How I ... Love the BOMB / 1290||6||1,200||4||800||4||800|
|Natty Greene 200 / 958||5||1,070||5||1,070||5||1,070|
|Kerr Lake Loop / 143||5||1,040||3||624||3||624|
|Siler City Express / 257||3||603||2||402||2||402|
|Tread of Tears / 1606||2||600||1||300||1||300|
|Coffeedence / 1629||2||412||1||206||1||206|
|Blackbeard's Permanent / 58||1||283||0||0||0||0|
|Wilkes Foothills 200K / 924||1||203||1||203||1||203|
|Triple Mountain View / 926||1||201||0||0||0||0|
Removing the route-organizers from their own route stats gives the middle set of above columns; I note that:
- Dean did LOMBD 11 times and Tar Heel twice. LOMBD still comes in as the favorite perm, and Tar Heel would move up to third on the list.
- Byron did Triple-L 10 times. But Triple-L would still be the second most-favored perm.
- I did Egypt Mtn 9 times.
- Mary did her Ammons route 16 times, and her Ellerbe route 11 times. See additional comment below.
- "Skinny" Joel did Sauartown 5 times.
- No one else did any of their own routes more than 3 times.
- Looking only at the Perms of 200+ kms, it seems that JP's joke might have been better applied to Mary than Dean (but only regarding 2012). Additionally, Mary was not at the year-end-party, so the joke would not have been "fair". Furthermore, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Perm-Pops (100-199 kms) might very well change the impression left by the above chart -- Mary doesn't organize any populaires; Dean does, and he rides the heck out of one of them in particular.
- Route organizers did their own 200+ km perms 86 times in 2012, and collected just under 18-thousand RUSA kms.
- There were five NC 10K-Hound-Klub members in 2012. In order of kms: MickH, Dean, Mary, Ricochet Robert, me. Only Robert is not a route-organizer. Perhaps there is a lesson there: organizing your own route(s) might be a considerable help to attaining 10K-Hound status. (That definitely seemed so in 2010 in NC, but not so much in 2011. More later?)
- 10K-Hounds accounted for another 58 circuits and nearly 12-thousand more RUSA kms on routes organized by others.
- We can see that 10K-Hounds do ride routes other than there own.
- Route-organizers and 10K-Hounds accounted for ~ 41.5% of the circuits and kms completed / credited on Permanents (200+ kms) in 2012.
- It's good to know that non-route-oranizers and those not infected with the 10K-Hound virus still acounted for forty-one-and-a-half thousand RUSA kilometers on Permanents in 2012.
- On routes they don't organize, 10K-Hounds accounted for:
- 15-circuits of LOMBD (11 of those by MickH, 3 by me, 1 by Ricochet);
- 24-circuits of Triple-L (16 by Ricochet, 5 by me, 2 by Mick, 1 by Dean);
- 6-circuits of Egypt Mtn (4 by Ricochet, 2 by Mick);
- 5-circuits of OakElmOak (3 by me, 1 each by Dean and Mary);
- 4-circuits of Black Creek (2 by me, 1 each by Mick and Ricochet);
- 3-circuits of Carolina Crossroads (1 each by Mick, Dean and me); and
- 2-circuits of the Tar Heel 200 (1 each by Mick and me).
- Therefore, one can see that the K-Hounds "spread themselves around pretty well", although most of them had clear favorites.
- [I keep flipping between referring to the 2012-NC-10K-Hounds in third person and first person. I'm confident that I'll fail to edit them all to the same tense and "person".]
[For the next post in the series, click-here.]