Sunday, July 4, 2010

Jul-04: Sometimes, It Is Almost Still My Solo Ride

I probably shouldn't post the following. 
But I'm tired of having essentially the same conversation every few months.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, it probably would have been better if I'd been riding solo.

The group ride was great.
The post-ride ultimatum -- there is no other word for a declarative demand -- the post-ride ultimatum was not.
Although this is essentially similar to previous "issues", this is the first time I was told point-blank what I could-not do. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A sample of previous complaints:

We ride too early.
We don't ride early enough.

The rides are too long.
The rides are not long enough.

The rides are too slow.
The rides are too fast (sometimes / frequently, my opinion, btw).

We ride the same-old-same-old routes.
We ride too many different routes.

Almost all the above have been resolved in the same manner ... I make ME happy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I have been told I can't use New Light Rd.
It was not even phrased in the form of a suggestion, a query, or a question.

In response, I expect that the following are the type routes we'll be riding in the weeks to come: 

Middleburg 100-miler (I don't have a map -- but may make one -- it shares a point with the following).
Stagecoach Express
Denny's Store Rd
Shoofly Don't Bother Me
BR1-Dabney-Watkins-GrayRock 'n FlatRock Rds
Bearpond-Bobbitt
Dyking 'n Peach Orchard Rds
A "Long Mill" Ride, i.e., The "Bonk" Route
JohnMitchell-BertWinston-MitchinersX-roads
LT's Short Hill Fun

also,
The Assault on Flat Rock,
the 12-CLs in 32-miles route,

and routes built on the following:
Youngsville-LizardLick 'n more
Rambling NorthEast of Youngsville
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, New Light Rd has a lot of issues.
So does Kemp.
And Olive Branch between Carpenter Pond and Doc Nichols.
Doc Nichols is quite rough and is rapidly developing issues.
Virgil is rough AND has a lot of bad places on the verge of becoming really bad.
Carpenter Pond has quite a few poorly patched potholes and rough spots, and holes.

Yes, New Light is currently worse than any of the others.
But take away all the roads with obnoxious pot-holes and rough spots, and ...
There is virtually nothing left to ride.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I have said and written before:
No one HAS to ride with me.
If you don't like when or where I'm going ... ride elsewhere.
It is no skin off my nose.

But don't EVER spring "support of my children", or any other "I'm special", on me.
Other people have children, and are special, too.
And I might be a major support for just as many or more, and younger, children.
They might not be my offspring, but blood of my siblings is my blood.

I am a nice guy, as was my father, but I am my father's son.
And he had a real temper when roused, and a long memory.
Don't piss me off.  I don't like me when I'm pissed off.  You probably won't, either.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to form your own group, and ride where you want, when you want, with whom you want, even poaching some or all the "Irregulars", please do.

But don't rain on my happy recreation time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul-04: 

PUE: Patterson-Creedmoor-Stem-LittleMtnRd-Hester-Wilton-Grissom; 64.0 m.; 4hrs, 10min; 15.3 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: 31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Ju1 tot: _3 rides; __173.6 m.; _10 hrs, 52 min; 15.9 mph.
YTD tot: 50 rides; 3,375.1 m.; 223 hrs, 00 min; 15.1 mph.  

No comments:

Post a Comment