Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sep-26: There's a Touch of Autumn In the Air

Using the excuse that I rode hard the day before, I wimped out of exploring.  Of course, the thing I wanted to check out is north of Roxboro ... at least 50 miles from PUE / BJP; so maybe a solo 100+-miler "the day after" wouldn't really have been the wisest move.  I think I used to be more adventuresome in the past (in this case, "past" would be ... last year.)

On the other hand, the sky looked threatening at 9-ish, so doing a ride where one didn't go too far afield also appeared to make "weather" sense.  I decided to ride an undetermined length using the "TT" course as the base, with possible / probable side-trips down Coley and down Baptist.

I was half-way down Coley, slowing / stopping at the stop sign at Kemp, when I spied a couple cyclists heading northwest, away from Coley Rd, on the new Kemp pavement.  I decided to catch them up.  Wendy was apparently choosing the JRA (Just Riding Around) course for Gary and herself as she reached decision points.  She decided to use the "Southview cut-off" to skip the last 1.5 miles of Kemp (and two climbs) and go directly to Baptist Rd, already 2/5 of the way down to the "marina".  Blah, blah, blah, we ate some nibbles standing next to a picnic table on the cul-de-sac loop at the end of Baptist Rd in the State Recreation Area, and then blah, blah, blah reversed course.  When we got back to the Coley / Kemp intersection, I bid Gary + Wendy "so-long" and finished the Coley loop and then rode the rest of the "TT" route without further additions. 

It got really nice in the middle of the ride, but by the time I finished, the sky was overcast again.  As I write this at 4:51 pm, it is raining.  I guess the weather that hit parts of the Natchez Trace 1000 km ride has finally arrived here.

Btw, have you seen the forecast for this next week and for this next Saturday?  Mild to cool conditions for next week's brevet.  I hope that the forecast that the rain accompanying the cold front will be gone before Saturday morning turns out to be correct.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sep-26: 

BJP:  .25xColey-(Kemp-S'view-mairna-S'view-Kemp)-.75xColey-DocN-Kemp-Virgil; 50.6 m.; 3 hrs, 17 min in-motion time; 15.4 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: 31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Ju1 tot: 13 rides; __786.9 m.; _52 hrs, 36 min; 15.0 mph.
Aug tot: _9 rides; __649.9 m.; _40 hrs, 45 min; 15.9 mph.
Sep tot: 14 rides; __834.5 m.; _61 hrs, 36 min; 13.5 mph.
YTD tot: 83 rides; 5,472.8 m.; 367 hrs, 19 min; 14.9 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment