Sunday, October 9, 2011

10/08/11: Beautiful day for a ride to Leasburg

Ags, Byron and I rode the permanent Leesville - Leasburg - Leesville 200k on Saturday Oct 8. It was a beautiful day in NC to be on the bike. This was my first long ride in 6 weeks so there was some questions on the legs. The 6:00am start required lights and reflective gear which provided a couple of laughs for the three of us. It became evident the first few miles that we forgot from last winter that 50 degrees before the sun is up requires more clothing then same temp in the sun. We all had cold fingers which required a stop at the gas station across from CVS on 98 and got $1.50 gloves. Best investment I have made in a long time.

At the Holly Ridge store that I love there was more excitement then normal. Fireman and other volunteers were cooking chicken, raising money for cancer. I said I would have a plate on the way back, but I had to postpone to next year.

Ags won the hardiest stomach award. We had sausage biscuits on the way out but an hour or so later I was feeling crappy. Still testing foods to see what works for me, I know sausage does not.

It was nice as always having Byron, the permanent owner as tour guide plus showing us since he has not been sick for a while his strength on the hills.

Ags did his share of pulling and without requiring encouragement, I hope this report does not damage his reputation. Total time 10:15.
Robert

2 comments:

  1. Why did you have to postpone having your chicken plate to next year?

    Don't tell me that you let that sausage biscuit over-ride the need to put your spoon in your mouth for the rest of the ride?

    Also, I think they may be cooking out one weekend a month during the cold months. That's what they told me last year.

    ...M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, yes I did let a sausage biscuit change my eating plans but did not realize I might get another opportunity soon. I have learned in this rando environment that one has to be flexible to changes...

    ReplyDelete