Monday, October 10, 2011

Oct-09: Bay Leaf Vol. Fire Dept. Open House

For the third consecutive year, I went JRA as an excuse to stop by the Bay Leaf Volunteer Fire Department Open House.

In 2009, the Open House was Lt. Dave's duty weekend, so he was manning the Blood Pressure table in case he suddenly had to get up to answer a call.  There was a call while I was at the Open House.  LT went from happy-go-lucky to fire-lieutenant-game-face on in about 2 seconds.  He did check my blood pressure.  I think he said it was 126  / 82 (or something in that ballpark).

In 2010, the Open House was again Lt. Dave's duty weekend, so he was again manning the Blood Pressure table in case he suddenly had to get up to answer a call.  There was no call while I was there.  Dave did check my blood pressure.  I think he said it was 132 / 78.

This year, I think the Open House was again on Capt. Dave's duty weekend -- certainly his team was on duty, ready to answer a fire call.  There was no call during Open House hours (as far as I am aware).  He and his team did, however, have to secure the landing site for the medivac helicopter that flew in to allow the public to see said flying machine up close.  Later, Dave and his team secured the site so the helicopter could "fly away".

Dave did hang around the Blood Pressure table, but he wasn't the one taking Blood Pressure readings for people.  Instead, his son Jessie was manning the table (at least when I went to have my blood pressure taken).  Jesse told me my blood pressure was 124 / 68.  A benefit of ridding myself of 50 unneeded pounds?

I also went putzing about on my bicycle for a few miles.  What a pretty day!  Bright sunshine and dark shadows.  Low dew point.  I noticed pleasant and pretty sights in places I've ridden by a hundred times, but never noticed how pretty it can be when you stare into the woods, beneath the canopy, and with the underbrush not out-of-control.  I suppose I noticed things because I was just putzing along, enjoying the sights, AND because weighing 50 pounds less, I don't have to work quite so hard on Norwood Rd between Six Forks and Mt. Vernon Church Rd.

I think I need more short, putz-along rides, enjoying the sights.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct-08:  --> Bay Leaf Fire Station #1 --> BJP --> Bay Leaf Fire Station #1 -->; 18.1 m.; 1h,20m in-motion; 13.5 mph

Q-1 tot: _23 rides; _1822.2 m.; 123 hrs, 05 min; 14.8 mph. 
Q-2 tot: _30 rides; _2604.9 m.; 174 hrs, 22 min; 14.9 mph. 
Q-3 tot: _29 rides; _2479.2 m.; 161 hrs, 05 min; 15.2 mph.
 
Oct tot: __3 rides; __164.4 m.; _11 hrs, 06 min; 14.8 mph. 
YTD tot: _85 rides; _7070.7 m.; 471 hrs, 38 min; 15.0 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment