Thursday, March 21, 2024

May 15, 2021: Morrisville - Siler City 300k Brevet

Short rando season for us as concerns regarding COVID-19 remained high, esp. among elderly and/or immune compromised individuals. 
RBA Alan viewed through the looking glass at rider check-in / route start.  Well, okay, viewed above/beyond the handlebars and helmet of my steed.  [timestamp 0622; I actually got started about three minutes later, meaning I started at least 10-minutes after my plan of 0615 -- didn't really matter since my official start time would be the timestamp of the photo (or at least that is what I recall)] 

 
Although it has taken almost 3 years for me to post something about this 300k brevet, I much enjoyed my completely solo adventure. 
 
Due to limits that enterprises were still employing, combined with some concern on my part about lingering or renewed COVID variations, I had prepared some food to carry with me to eat en route -- actual food such as some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. 
 
I ate the first half-thigh at the Andrew's Store (original location at the intersection of Andrew's Store Rd and US-15/501.  While that was only 20-miles into the brevet, it marked the ~ 40-mile mark for me since I had cycle commuted ~ 20-miles to the start.  While nibbling on that half-thigh, and possibly removing some clothing, a rider-not-to-be-identified rode swiftly past the store.  I doubt that rider saw me.  [Later, when we should have crossed outbound vs inbound, I again did not see that rider.  Seemed rather strange at the time; still seems rather strange.] 
 
I stopped some 16 or 20 miles later at a side-road off of Castle Rock Farm Rd to consume the second half of the above referenced chicken thigh and definitely removed long-sleeve and knee-warmer kit. 
 
The timestamp on the photo indicates that I got to the first intermediate control at Snow Camp, approx 50-miles from the start of the 300, at 1044 -- indicating ~ 4h20 to cover that ~ 50-miles -- I judge that quite reasonable given the two extra stops before getting to Snow Camp (I have traditionally only paused at stop-lights and stop-signs between the start and Snow Camp outbound).  I'm sure I ate another half-thigh and acquired some cold beverage to replace that which I had consumed to that point. 

 
I apparently was "feeling good" between Snow Camp and the "100k control" in Siler City as, according to the timestamp on the Siler City photo, I arrived there exactly one hour after previously arriving at Snow Camp.  I ate another half-thigh (or maybe an entire thigh) at Siler City before shoving off for Seagrove. 

 
I stopped in the shade somewhere along Old Coleridge Rd to consume another half-chicken-thigh.  Or maybe, by the time I completed the impromptu stop, I had consumed all three chicken thighs I had with me.  My recollection is that the three fast-dudes indicated below in the ride results overtook me shortly after I had resumed pedaling after the impromptu stop on Old Coleridge. 
 
I calmly continued my ride, but perhaps I was slowing a bit, as the timestamp on the photo at the Seagrove control is 1425.  Well, the difference in time between the Siler City and Seagrove controls suggests that I covered that 50-kms in approx two-and-a-half hour in-motion:  I cannot complain about that.  As I approached Seagrove, I decided that I was going to order a large chocolate shake at the control -- I did do that although I was surprised at the price -- as I type this, I think I recall that I actually ate the last of the chicken thighs while at/in Seagrove. 

  
I took my time to eat/drink the chocolate shake and to eat ... whatever.  I also decided to call RBA Alan to let him know where I was and to clue him in that the fast-dudes were well on their way back toward Morrisville.  [And now that I type that sentence, I wonder if what I typed earlier about where/when the fast dudes overtook me is correct.  Oh, well.] 
 
Alan indicated that Chet had returned to his place shortly after starting to report a DNF due to a drive-system failure on his bike only approx 6-miles ito the route.  Alan asked it I had seen Cyndy VdW -- nope.  I suggested that perhaps Cyndy was also DNF because the failure would likely have been on their tandem.  Alan was convinced that Cyndy was not DNF and was therefore somewhere on the course.  I agreed to keep an eye out for her on my return voyage to Siler City. 

I'm pretty sure I spent at least 30-minutes at the Seagrove control, and probably closer to 45-minutes (because I recall thinking that I was spending a lot more time there than I ever had (on the 300)). 
 
No memory or recollection of the return journey to Siler City except that I did not see Cyndy.  I called Alan to let him know that I had not seen her, and therefore I figured that she and Chet had DNF'd together on their tandem.  However, Alan again indicated that Chet had only referred to himself as DNF'ing and he was still adamant that Cyndy was somewhere on the course.  
Siler City control on the return.  Timestamp 1733 -- only 3h08 after the timestamp on the Seagrove control photo.  Conclusion:  either I didn't spend as much time in Seagrove as I now think, or I rode relatively quickly (for me) on that 50-kms, or perhaps there was a nice tailwind that pushed me along (except that RUSA #12 explains that there is no such thing as a tailwind in cycling). 
 
I reached Snow Camp on the return at 1838 (according to the timestamp on the photo).  1h05 after arriving at Siler City.  I was perhaps slowing down or maybe the phone chat with Alan (and maybe others ??) took some time before I lsft Siler City. 

 
No recollections or current thoughts about the 50-miles from Snow Camp to the finish.  I arrived at the finish at 2333 (according to the timestamp on the photo taken at the finish control). 
 
I rested sitting on RBA Alan's front steps, and then made the ~ 20-mile cycle commute up NC-54, along Hillsboro St past part of the NC State community, skirted Cameron Village, walked up the steep part of Lassiter Mill Rd (I'd rather walk up that at 2.1-mph than risk falling over at 3-mph), skirted North Hills shopping center, and soft-pedaled the rest of my way to my hovel. 
 
The above is my extremely boring story for the 2021 Morrisville 300k brevet, but I will be sticking with the above. 
 
My results on the day: 
  • 20.4-mile commute to the start, with 1:30 in-motion, i.e., an 13.5-mph pedal. 
  • 187.8-miles for the brevet route, with 14:30 in-motion, i.e., 12.9-mph avg. 
  • 19.7-mile commute back to north Raleigh, 1:47 in-motion, i.e., 11.0-mph avg. 
 
Official RUSA results: 
RegionClubTypeDistanceDateFinishersDNF
NC: RaleighNorth Carolina Bicycle Club / 933045ACPB3002021/05/1552

Cert#RUSA#NameClub / ACP CodeTimeMedal
2664816176H__, Ian PageAsheville International Randonneurs / 93301112:37 
2664823095J__, WesRandonneurs USA / 93309512:30 
266483####not to be ID'dxxxxx12:30 
2664846218S__, MartinNorth Carolina Bicycle Club / 93304517:11 
26648564T__, MarkSeattle International Randonneurs / 94701812:37 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment