Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Iva's BeaverDamTri Report

Dateline Apr-18 (even though it appears this was composed Apr-20):

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 2:55 pm 

Thursday morning:  country club pool.  Water temp 60 degrees.  I had to see what it would be like so slipped beneath the surface in my sleeveless farmer john wet suit.  I immediately got brain freeze.  Recovered from that and swam and swam never warming up.  Finally, as I was about to be overcome with hypothermia, I decided I better look at my watch to see how long I had been going. Six minutes !  Oh, my my. I said.  So I determined I had to go for at least 20 minutes.  When I got out my arms were blue and my speech slurred.  I resolved I had to find a full wet suit or make up some excuse about withdrawing. 

Friday morning:  I emailed a man I know about my size at Inside Out sports and sure enough, he would let me borrow his full wet suit.  Now I was good to go again. 

Friday afternoon:  At packet pick up at Beverdam, I heard my name called by none other than Harvey H.  He was tanned and fit and rested from his week in Costa Rica.  He told me he had been battling the waves and was ready for the swim.  As you will see, that was certainly true. 

Saturday morning:  cold as ice but sunny.  For some reason, they gave me a low number causing me to rack my bike with high tech, shaved legs, young, and so serious competitors.  They were done before I started the run.  They were standing around as I came in off the bike. 

Swim:  Harvey and I assisted each other with our wet suits.  For some reason, wet suit designers have decided the lower drag with having the zipper on the back is worth the dislocated shoulders trying to get the things off and on.  I dreaded the swim and for good reason.  After catching my breath and calming my heart, I actually enjoyed the outbound leg with the sun at our back.  When I made the turn, the sight buoys disappeared.  It was like looking through your car windshield when it's covered with ice.  I had to keep raising my goggles to see the buoys.  One time I dropped them and had to tread water to get them back on while my left calf cramped up.  It still hurts !  I finally finished in about 44 minutes for something that would usually take me about 35.  Meanwhile, Harvey had long before finished in under 30 minutes and was 15th overall in the swim split !  I guess Costa Rica did help him. 

Bike:  T1 (that's the term triathletes like to toss around for the 1st transition) took me forever as my numb fingers struggled to get my bike gear on.  I wore a bike jersey with a pull over and head band and gloves.  I felt great on the bike.  But for some reason, my legs didn't..  I plodded along.  I reminded myself every time I started to stomp on the pedals to gear down.  I could hear Martin yelling.  I think I ended up averaging close to 17 but couldn't quite get there.  The return trip on 50 wasn't as bad as I had feared.  The sheriff was out in force and did a good job of calming the traffic.  I didn't realize how darn far it was and how hilly it is between 98 and beaverdam. 

Run:  survival mode.  I'm a pretty good runner.  But no training on int'l distance and a head cold and "hammering" on the bike had my legs cooked.  Plus, I know this will shock you, Martin:  I had to run into the woods on the run to take a leak.  That cost me some time.  I was out on the run nearly an hour. 

My bench mark on the Olympic distance is 3 hours.  But, it's been awhile.  This took me 3:27.  I was among the last.  But these were a serious group.  Olympic distance this early in the season with 60 degree water doesn't attract a lot of first timers. 

Thanks to the guys for the long rides.  That's what told me I should try the int'l distance again. 

Iva

1 comment:

  1. Iva took first in his age-group. Harvey took first Master Clydesdale.

    ReplyDelete