Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's a Small, Inter-locked Cycling World

Date:  Monday, April 5, 2010, 4:32 PM
Memo:  to Hans (whom I'd never met)

Are you the Hans I met last week in Gary's basement?
Building up an all-black bike?

What was I doing there? Must have something to do with trying out a shorter stem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent:  Mon, Apr 5, 2010 7:15 pm
Memo:  from Hans (whom, it turns out, I had met)

yes, that was me. life is too funny and the gyrating ... adds to the humor!

that was my "zamboni" we were building up. a "poor man's pinarello."
yeah, I think you were getting a stem.

Gary has a great thing going. all he needs is an espresso machine in his shop.

ride safe!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Date:  Monday, April 5, 2010, 8:00 PM

Memo:  to Hans 

I went by Gary's today to pick up a new pair of goggles, and he mentioned you.
And the way he mentioned you made a light "click" in my brain that you might be . . . you.

It is quite funny. Or a small world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Small world story: 

Friday, 5 buddies and I drove to Roxboro to ride to Yanceyville and back.  I had previously contacted Gilbert Anderson who has a bike shop in Yanceyville, and has done a lot of randonneuring in his time.  Anyway, I had never met Gilbert.  We planned to stop by to meet and greet.

A funny thing happened:

Into Yanceyville And Into Gilbert's Shop. The Yanceyville Court House Square made for a nice place to stop -- it looks like it would be awfully HOT in 90+ temps.  Bicycle racks outside Gilbert's shop. Park bike, enter shop and call out for Gilbert.  (Gilbert and I had never met, although we had exchanged e-mails.) 

Emerging from the depths of the store, came Burl Ives, er, Gilbert Anderson. 

As Gilbert and I are chatting, Tito walks past me, goes up to Gilbert "shoulder-to-shoulder" and gives Gilbert a one-arm "shoulder-to-shoulder-hug" saying "Gilbert, it has been a long time since you painted my bike."

"You've been holding out on us, Tito!" 

Tito claimed he didn't know it was the SAME Gilbert Anderson from . . . when they were both much younger. Weren't all of us -- younger, that is.

How funny is that?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent:  Mon, Apr 5, 2010 8:34 pm 
Memo:  from Hans
 

Wow..it is a small world. I've know Gilbert for years but then he disappeared from his last store downtown I didn't know where he went. Cool guy, was always able to locate that bike part nobody else had.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent:  Tue, Apr 6, 2010 7:18 am

Memo:  to Hans, copy Gilbert

Gilbert said that the Moulton and Pashley importation business is doing better than ever.  Fewer walk-in distractions in Yanceyville.

The store . . . looks to be one mass disorganized back storage room that no one ever enters or straightens up.  I'd bet that Gilbert knows where everything is.

I'm sure he would be glad to receive an e-mail from you (his e-mail address is on is website), or welcome you if you dropped by while on a ride.

I'm beginning to think that the cycling world is a real world example of the five interlocked Olympic rings; every circle of cyclists interlocks with other circles of cyclists, often in ways one never imagined.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Sent:  Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM 
Memo:  from Gilbert to Hans, copy to me and Yo-Adrian
 
Hans,
 
I thought you got the memo about our move; In fact I thought you helped move us to Yanceyville. Oh well, I always said I have forgotten more than I ever leaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment