These were "my" perm / perm-pops under the original RUSA Permanents Program.
Although the original Perms Program has met its demise due to liability insurance issues,
I keep this page and this list because several (at least) are favorite routes of mine,
And I want to keep easy access to the RWGPS map-links for myself and friends.
|Start Location||Route #||Km||Climb (ft.)||Name||States|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||1404||103||3600||Bahama Beach||NC|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||2259||104||2500||Bay Leaf - Oxford - Bay Leaf||NC|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||1795||138||4400||Denny's Store Sortie||NC|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||1938||205||6600||Road to Hicksboro||NC|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||1444||210||6100||Warrenton & Egypt Mountain||NC|
|NC: Raleigh (Bay Leaf)||2498||234||7600||Badgett Sisters Pkwy (Bay Leaf Start)||NC|
|NC: Durham east||2497||208||6600||Badgett Sisters Parkway||NC|
|NC: Durham east||2771||300||9100||3-Lake-300||VA, NC|
|NC: Durham east||3134||417||10300||4-Lake-400||VA, NC|
|NC: Raleigh downtown||2395||102||2800||Yellow Dog Run to Bunn||NC|
|NC: Raleigh downtown||1583||108||3000||Bunn Warmer||NC|
|NC: Raleigh downtown||2443||133||3500||Yellow Dog Lope to Spring Hope||NC|
|NC: Raleigh downtown||1636||140||3700||Hope Springs Eternal||NC|
|NC: Raleigh downtown||1551||209||4000||OakElmOak||NC|
|NC: Raleigh northeast||2122||108||2450||Bunn Wash Caper||NC|
|NC: Lumberton||1895||106||700||Fish Pop||NC|
Note: the above climbing estimates are primarily based on RWGPS estimates -- though anyone that has bothered to examine RWGPS estimates in even a half-serious way will know that the RWGPS estimates often do not make a lot of sense [check out these comparisons of RWGPS vs itself: click #1, click #2]. (By the way, although RWGPS has improved the quality of the anto-generated cue sheets, take care before trusting them completely. The trace-lines are almost always correct -- unless the road network has changed -- so those are likely good to follow.)
Some information on how some of the above routes came to be:
- Egypt Mtn 210 -- Genesis of a Route
- Hicksboro 205 -- "that ridge we rode that one time"
- "Raleigh (Bay Leaf)" routes -- these are my original routes (+ the long Badgett Sisters route) -- see the above descriptions of how the Egypt Mtn and Hicksboro routes came to be. Bay Leaf is a crossroads community that used to be well north of Raleigh, but is now essentially on the northern edge of the city.
- "Raleigh downtown" routes -- originally owned by MickH, #6169, jointly created by the two of us. When Mick decided to reduce his rando tyreprint, I agreed to adopt the routes. Hope Springs Eternal (HSE) and Bunn Warmer (BW) are actually the same as the OakElmOak perm route, but the routes U-turn earlier. [The Yellow Dog (YD) routes are the same as HSE and BW, but the start is at a different location. A location which became less desirable immediately after the YD routes were created because parking at the shopping center where the Yellow Dog Bakery is located suddenly became crowded, and cars were being towed. We kept the YD routes because one or both of them might one day be helpful in someone getting a K-Hound-exact.]
- The "Raleigh northeast" route was created because Mick decided he'd like a route where he didn't have to deal with the downtown traffic at the start and/or finish.
- "Durham" routes -- Byron, RUSA #621, asked if I had ever considered creating a 300; maybe we could work together to make one. I had fiddled around scoping out a couple routes; Byron liked one of them. Voila, the "3-Lake-300" and the "Badgett Sisters Parkway." After riding the 300, MikeD, #1609, suggested knitting his Buggs Island Populaire onto the 300 to make a 400, voila, the "4-Lake-400"
- "Lumberton" routes -- originally owned by MaryF, #3459. But when she no longer had interest in doing the routes (and moved away from Lumberton), I took them over, supposedly so I would have something of a reasonable length to ride while others did 300 and/or 400 km Lumberton start brevets that I hosted. The routes have also proven useful for northern state randos looking for some warmer conditions in which to maintain an R or P series during Winter months.