Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sep-22: Still Testing the New Confuser

You never know who you might meet during, after, or before a ride.  Today, at BJP, I was "hello'd" by Anne S., aka, Mrs. Mallet.  Anne's friend Liz was meeting her for Anne's first ever ride from BJP (and outside of Anne's comfort zone). 

Anne had gotten a cue sheet off the NCBC site.  Something called "Mangum Dairy 'something'".  I admit I giggled when I heard "Mangum Dairy".  I asked if she cared to show me the cue sheet.  I quickly passed over the Mangum Dairy entry (after mentioning that she would have to turn onto Lawrence Rd from Bruce Garner to get to Mangum Dairy -- Anne pointed to the very small handwritten "Lawrence" on the cue sheet -- too small for my 54-y.o. eyes to see without reading glasses) and commented that I wasn't crazy about her riding 3.5 miles on NC-98 even if that section was part of NC Bike Route #2.  Anne mentioned that Paul had said "Martin probably wouldn't like this course". 

I suggested she turn the opposite direction on Purnell and take Woodlief back to New Light.  That is what Anne and Liz did.  They probably did not speak kindly regarding me during the latter part of their ride because my suggestion accidentally added 5 or 6 miles to their course.  I certainly did NOT expect that. 

I saw Anne after our respective rides.  I asked what she thought of Mangum Dairy.  She paused, then said "it was tough." 

I'm not sure, but I think that Paul has never ridden Mangum Dairy all the way up to Purnell.  If that is correct, Anne certainly has "one up" on her lesser half.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I reset my new confuser to "210" last night.  I rode from BJP to the corner of Carpenter Pond and Leesville roads because I know that is 11.0 miles.  The confuser showed 11.26 miles -- the same as yesterday.  At least I had confirmed that the confuser had been set to the most logical setting given my bike and tyre combo.

I reset the confuser to "206" and rode back to BJP.  At my car, the confuser indicated 10.83 miles. 

I reset the confuser to "208" and rode out to the Six Forks / Pleasant Union Ch Rd intersection.  I "zero'd" out the confuser settings and rode Six Forks / New Light to Ghoston to NC-98 to Peed to MVC to Pleasant Union Ch Rd and back to the 6F / PUCRd corner.  I know that loop is 9.4 miles.  The confuser indicated 9.38 miles.  I deemed that "good enough".

1)  BJP to CP / Leesville roads:  11.0 miles; 44 min., 0 seconds; 15.0 avg mph.
2)  CP / Leesville back to BJP:  11.0 miles; 34 min., 27 seconds; 19.2 avg mph.
3)  6F/NL-G-P-MVC-PUC loop:  9.4 miles; 35 min., 35 seconds; 15.8 avg mph.

Oh, for those interested, I did the "LeTivito time-trial" in 19 min., 10 seconds.
Any of you fast-guy mountain goats got the cajones to do that "TT" in that much time?
 _ _ _ ;-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sep-22: 

BJP: see above for course; 31.4 m.; 1 hrs, 54 min in-motion time; 16.5 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: 31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Ju1 tot: 13 rides; __786.9 m.; _52 hrs, 36 min; 15.0 mph.
Aug tot: _9 rides; __649.9 m.; _40 hrs, 45 min; 15.9 mph.
Sep tot: 12 rides; __711.6 m.; _54 hrs, 08 min; 13.1 mph.
YTD tot: 81 rides; 5,349.9 m.; 359 hrs, 52 min; 14.9 mph. 

1 comment:

  1. "cajones", hell I couldn't do it that slowly with my cajones removed!

    Malllet

    ReplyDelete