Monday, October 4, 2010

Oct-03: JRA, and Bayleaf Fire Dept Open House

Just riding around spinning out the legs. 

Met 71-year-old Dick P. on Coley Rd.  I've been crossing paths with Dick for two or three years, about three to five times a year, always on Coley Rd.  But I'd never managed a conversation.

This time, he was near NC-98 headed toward Carpenter Pond (which on this blog, is sometimes referred to as "CP") while I was still headed toward the highway.  I figured I would catch the unknown gentleman and see if I could strike up a conversation.  There was traffic on Coley trying to turn onto 98, so I was delayed an extra minute, and I didn't catch Dick until after we had just crossed Kemp Rd.

I slowed to chat.  We exchanged recognition and names.  He asked if I rode with a particular north Raleigh group.  Nope.  I told him about some of my usual courses.  He knew them all, but in recent years has grown leary of the traffic on New Light and Old Weaver Trail -- so he winds a hilly path through housing developments to get to Hickory Grove Rd and CP and the Coley -- and then reverses course to return home.

At the top of Coley (i.e., at the intersection with CP), we found that each of us intended to head east:  Dick to head home; me to head to Bayleaf Fire Dept.  Dick asked if I cared to ride the housing development trail and he'd lead me to Norwood near Bayleaf.  As we headed up the last climb to Norwood, Dick apologized as he had only just realized he was taking me toward the Durham Highway Fire Dept.  I told him "I know, but that's all right; I'm just out to loosen up the legs, and this route through these housing developments has been quite interesting."  

'Till next time, Dick.

Oh, and thanks for leading me on that housing development route.
The "Irregulars" will love it.  Bwahaha!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then rode over to Bayleaf Fire Dept's Open House.  And blah, blah, blah, I got Lt. Dave to take my blood pressure:  132 / 78.  About the same as last year; click here to find out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct-03: 

BJP:  Coley-housing development-Norwood-PleasantUnionChRd; 30.3 m.; 2 hrs, 7 min in-motion time; 14.3 mph. 

Q-1 tot: 16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: 31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Q-3 tot: 37 rides; 2,293.2 m.; 156 hrs, 31 min; 14.7 mph.
Oct tot: _2 rides; __154.9 m.; _10 hrs, 04 min; 15.4 mph.
YTD tot: 86 rides; 5,649.6 m.; 378 hrs, 44 min; 14.9 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment