Monday, November 29, 2010

Nov-28: Tarheel 200 km Permanent

Dean put out the rider-call with this message:

Come join the fun! If you need an excuse, here are eleventeen, ready-made:

_1) If I ride a permanent this weekend, I can eat more stuff(ing) on Thanksgiving day.
_2) I'm training for Tony's early-season brevet series, er, I mean series-es.
 _ _ _ _ http://www.bicycleforlife.org/rusa/events-rusa.html

_3) I need an R-ride this month.
 _ _ _ _ http://www.rusa.org/award_r12.html

_4) I neeed a second, third, nth . . . permanent this month.
 _ _ _ _http://www.rusa.org/newsletter/11-01-08.html

_5) I'm stir crazy.
_6) I'm crazy.
_7) There's no rain in the forecast (even if "fearless leader," Alan, rides).
_8) My in-laws, whom I desparately love till death do we part, are in town; and the best part --- because they love me so much --- they've encouraged me to take a day's leave and ride . . .
_9) I want an Andy's milk shake in Stedman.
10) It is an opportunity to ride with some cool folks, gaining some off-season base miles.
11) I don't need no reason to ride --- doin' what I like doin'.

If interested, contact me ...

Let's ride!
Dean/Raleigh
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I chose excuse #6 and signed on.

I don't what know excuses they were using, but Recumbent Lin and NC Rando 2010 Rookie of the Year Tim also signed on.  (I think Tim may have been concentrating on excuse #9, because he lamented that it was too chilly / cold for a milk shake.)

One good thing about doing this route with Dean, the route owner:  I don't have to worry about actually knowing the course or consulting the cue sheet.

One bad thing about doing this route with Dean, the route owner:  I don't learn the route (as quickly as I should - but I've almost got it down - even those turns in Dunn and Erwin - and today I even recognized where the "Get 'Er Dunn" route turns off East Denim Rd).

This was my third permanent this month.  On Kerr Lake Loop at the beginning of the month, Dean and I each set personal records for that course -- thanks largely to Jerry pulling us all the way to Boydton into the breeze that day.  On Leesville-Leasburg-Leesville last week, I set a personal record.  Today (yesterday), on the Tarheel, I got my third PR this month in three "tries".  I wasn't really "trying" to PR -- it's just that with cooler temps it has been a LOT easier than during the HEAT of the summer.  I often have trouble in the heat.

Thanks go to Dean, Lin and Tim for each taking serious pulls during the ride.  I would never have finished so quickly if it weren't for you guys.

There are lots of things I could write about the ride, including references to several more-than-annoying dogs and the great breakfast I had at Strickland's Marathon, but it is sufficient to write that I had a great day in the saddle, riding in the cool sunshine, with three great guys.

See you on the road.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov-28: 

Tarheel 200 km Permanent; 124.9 m.; 8 hrs, 7 min in-motion; 15.4 mph; rando time:  10 hrs, 14 min elapsed clock time. 

Q-1 tot: _16 rides; __938.2 m.; _60 hrs, 39 min; 15.5 mph.
Q-2 tot: _31 rides; 2,263.3 m.; 151 hrs, 29 min; 14.9 mph.
Q-3 tot: _37 rides; 2,293.2 m.; 156 hrs, 31 min; 14.7 mph.
Oct tot: _13 rides; 1,050.6 m.; _58 hrs, 44 min; 15.3 mph.
Nov tot: _10 rides; __726.4 m.; _48 hrs, _6 min; 15.1 mph.
YTD tot: 107 rides; 7,271.7 m.; 484 hrs, 34 min; 15.0 mph.
__ 

No comments:

Post a Comment