Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ricochet Robert Rides 600 km

For background on Robert, use the "Search This Blog" at the top of the right-hand side-bar.
On my 600k ride ...  
There was much concern about attempting almost a 400 mile ride when my longest ever was only about 200 miles.  The pluses were good weather was predicted, the flat route, and I have been riding consistently for about 1 year.  The minuses were double the longest distance and wondering if legs would recover in time after having ridden Mt Mitchell the Sunday before. 
The ride was well organized with about 60 of us leaving Lumberton at 730am Sat, going four different distances with about 20 doing the 600K.  We split from the last group doing 400k about mile 60. 
I rode a few miles with Biker Bob and Rico Rob at the start.  Then solo until I joined a group of Paul, Phil and Doug as they were about to leave a control just as I arrived.  It was a quick stop for me.  We rode on and off together and later I rode many enjoyable miles on my own at night.  And the moon ... it was just wonderful -- sometimes my lights were not needed.  I now understand about riding your own pace alone is sometimes better than riding with a group.  Also, my position on riding alone has changed.
Eating and drinking all the time paid big dividends as I only got a little fatigued, never bonked and had legs to help pull the group the last 15 to 20 miles.  My weight when arriving at home was 1 pound more than when I left, so mission accomplished.
There were no sleep problems like some of the others had as I never felt sleepy during the ride.  We did stop for about 2 to 3 hours where I showered, sleep 1.5 hrs and refueled.  The light / reflector situation is now working well but I need to work on the bag / carrying stuff on the bike.  I did manage to add a few bonus miles so ended with 385.
One lesson learned - fully test everything prior to major ride.  I tested the new bag under my saddle during the week prior to ride, however it was not fully loaded.  Only 30 miles into the ride, I was told my bag was dragging down on my wheel; fixing that required me to stop twice and loose two different groups.  Not the way to start a long ride.  A bungy cord purchased at the next control provided the solution.
I was very pleased to complete the adventure in about 36 hours, finish with dignity and make many new friends.  Thanks to everyone that addressed all my prior questions for my planning and those that supported me during the ride.
Robert
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
[edit(s)]  In another take on the 600 km brevet, "bryanphoto" makes "Ricochet Robert" the universally known and accepted nom de cycle of a certain Irregular "Robert". 
     _

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Robert!

    Back in November or December, I had told a couple of the "Irregulars" that I figured you would be the first IR to complete a 600k ride. You've proved me right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC. You still have spring in those legs (and heart, lungs).

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just assumed that "Ricochet Robert" was a long-time nickname. One of these rides you'll have to tell me the story behind that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RR, glad you caught up with some folks and that you had a successful ride. You make it sound so easy! Since you didn't comment about it, I presume your new saddle worked out ok.

    ... Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, it was good riding w you on Sat for a while. Thanks for asking about the new saddle... there was a little numbness during the ride and my butt is still a little sore (not sure if that is expected or not). The new one is better than the old one but I will have to talk to Gary Smith (TCL-4-Bikes) about making some minor adjustment.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete