Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Apr-02: Morrisville 200 km Brevet

Before reading this Irregular (and long) post, I urge you to check out some other views of the brevet:
 _ click here for an extremely short POV from Doc-on-a-Bike Keith,
 _ click here for Andy's usual short POV; check out his photos, esp. the one of Frosty's;
 _ click here for MikeD's POV, including some photos that I really like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eight months ago, with a little help from "my guys" (actually, a lot of help from "my guys"), we put together a multi-voice ride report that was well received.  With three Irregulars now RUSA members, I thought we might be able to give the volleying multi-voice report another shot.  However, either three voices are not enough, or the first post worked because it was new to four of us (and the fifth still wasn't convinced he could complete the ride "in style"), or (most likely) you can't go home again.

However, prior to the ride (and with a follow-up post-ride request), I did urge that Ricochet and JohnA send me a ride report from their individual points of view.  After reading their reports, but before starting to write mine (but having some ideas of what I want to cover), I've concluded that ... this time ... three separate stand-alone reports.  First JohnA, because this was his first RUSA ride of any sort and I received his report first.  Second Ricochet, because he's already provided his write-up.  Third me, thus taking on the anchor burden.

You'll probably come to the same conclusion I did -- in future, either I do a report OR I hornswaggle someone else into doing a guest post, but I do NOT try to do both. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JohnA, aka, "Ags":  I wasn't in North Raleigh any more ...  

We started out 40 strong at a strip mall in Morrisville.  I lost Martin and Robert immediately [i.e., John was behind Ricochet and Martin].  It was when I found myself behind a recumbent and flanked by a tandem that I realized I wasn't in North Raleigh any more ... .

Excellent riding today with excellent people.  With 40 wheels to suck on to, I didn't mind a little breeze during the Trek [inside Irregulars joke -- Ags seems to never pull].  I found Ricochet and Martin somewhere in the group and hung on till the big hill at Mile Post 17.  Robert went about the task of introducing me to all his buddies from past Blog Entries: "Hardy Singh" Steve.  I lost them as the group got strung out and unfortunately had found my way to a group with woolen jerseys, some shaved legs and Campy parts (read: the lead group).  At the first control 50 miles out, I watched the hot riders disappear in the horizon and waited for Ricochet.

[Ed.:  To understand the next paragraph, it helps to know that in my post-ride e-mail requesting write-ups from Ags and Ricochet, I had noted that upon realizing that the two of them were in a 6-person line led by TomF that I knew Ags would be able to pull off his usual "never pull" move.   See, I started the "smack talk", and I admit it.]

We [Robert and John] teamed up with Tom and Leigh Anne who were representing Robeson Co. admirably.  Martin was dead on regarding Tom, he blocked and pulled for 10 miles to the turnaround where I met Chris and Brian.  Tom pulled for more miles and was spelled by Asheville Chris and Woody Fendered Brian [probably Jerry].

Eventually [Tom, LeeAnn, Chris, Jerry, Robert and I] caught Kim and Danny from Chapel Hill.  Somehow [Kim, Danny and I] got separated from everyone; we took it the remaining 35 miles to Alan's house, where I had the best tomato sandwich of my life.  It was awesome.  Elapsed time in the 7:30 range and averaged 18.0 mph in the "calm with the occasional breeze at my back" riding conditions.

Smack talk [for the "Irregulars"]:  While the mutual admiration society was pulling into PUE, I was already home sipping on a Dale's Pale Ale.  Congrats little Turtles! 

[Ed.:  Being the owner / editor of this blog does give me some prerogatives.  This time, I've decided to allow the other Irregulars to respond to the immediately preceding "smack talk" in their own ways.  Martin  ;-) ]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ricochet Robert:   eating ice cream

Martin, John and I headed out on our non-IR adventure from Morrisville.  Since doing a few of these RUSA rides, I now recognize some of the faces…

As always on these brevets, there is a front group that takes it out and over time riders/groups drop off the back.  My decision process is "make good time holding on without damaging my overall objective of finishing with some spirit".  I hung with the fast group as John and I rode together about 40 miles and I needed to take a short break.  I lost the first and second train in a matter of a minute and rode solo 10 miles to the 50 mile control.  It was good seeing John's smiling face.... I had a feeling he would enjoy this experience plus help him prep for his AoMM. 

My stop was quick in rando fashion and I left with John, Tom and Lee Ann.  Tom stated he could pull if someone would navigate.  Such a deal John and I could not refuse ... I could see another smile on John's face [almost certainly from that "never pull" thing].  Tom pulled into the heavy wind until we hit the turn around ... Tom, thanks again!  A quick stamp, bite, drink, conversation off we go.  It was great seeing Martin heading into the control … an advantage to an out and back course.

It was no time and we were at the penultimate Snow Camp control, and upon leaving we joined a larger group seems like about a dozen.  It was so much fun to be riding with that many people so late (50 miles to go) in the ride.  As the group split, I was with Jerry, Bryan, Chris, Chris and Barclay off-and-on the rest of the ride.  Jerry suggested we stop at Frosty’s and I was all over that…. brilliant idea!  We spent 15 to 20 mins eating ice cream and having a soda sitting at the table in the back.  Frosty’s now is very biker friendly from the bike rack, biker food/drink and big smile from the young lady working there.

Special thanks for Jerry and Bryan as I leeched on them the last 50 miles.  I did not pull as I was concerned I was over my head, riding with people I have never been able to keep up with late in a ride.  Unvoiced questions came in into my head numerous times on how fast am I currently going and will I have legs at the end, these questions always happen when pushing to the limit. 

This was my best 200k:  1) my fastest with 17.2 ave mph and about 7h,10m on the bike with 7h,57m elapsed time total;  2) rode with good groups all but 10 miles when I was solo;  3) only had to read cue sheets for 20 miles.  Now complete are the 200, 300 and 600 with only the 400k left for my first SR and qualifying for PBP.  This all made for a very rewarding day. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Story:  I'm-on-a-mission 

I arrived at approx 6:05 am.  Unlike last year, I was not the first rando on-site.  This year, Alan and Dorothy were there and set-up before I arrived. 

Last year, when I went to sign in, none of Alan's pens seemed to work; Dorothy exclaimed, "I'm always after him to get rid of the ones that don't work, but he never does."  I gave Alan two pens.  I always looked for one of those pens whenever I signed in for one of Alan's brevets last year.  This year, I didn't see either of "my" pens from last year but there were several pens nicely laid out and each had the appearance of a pen that would work.  I made a comment along those lines; Alan and Dorothy each chuckled.

Last year, I knew no one.  That isn't exactly correct -- I knew LynnL and had met and ridden once with MikeD, had once fleetingly met Sridhar and had exchanged e-mails with Branson (but had never met him).  I did recognize a few faces from photos I had seen on the grand-daddy of NC rando blogs:  Research Trailer Park.  This year, I recognized many faces and knew the names to go with them (some of those faces actually appeared to greet me warmly -- they've probably been taking fake rando smile lessons from Andy).  There were and still are, many faces and names that I do not know.

Last year, I had no idea what was going on or what to expect, but I made sure to be ready to ride on time.  This year, I still had no idea what was going on pre-ride, but the guy parked next to me was Ags, and he probably thought I knew what I was doing. 

Last year, mucking about before the ride, I actually met Branson (I think).  This year, I not only saw and shared "hello's" with Branson, but Branson introduced me to his son Aubrey.  Aubrey seemed to want to be shy and snuggle into his dad's shoulder -- that seems like a really good thing for a youngster Aubrey's age to do.

As noted, last year, I didn't know hardly anyone.  This year, I saw and exchanged hello's with several randos I hadn't seen in a while, including Byron, the aforementioned Branson, MikeO, BikerBob, Andy, Tim, MikeD, JohnO, and perhaps others.  There were some missing faces that I expected (or half-expected) to see; among those "missing" were Dean, Sridhar, BobO, recumbent-Ron, Vance, Maria -- all back-half-of-the-packers.  Three other back-halfers were also not there:  Al P because he is mostly laid-up, and Sara and Gary because they moved to Maine.

 
Alan rang his cowbell and we were off.  I saw JayJay waiting for the rush to pass ... I called out a hello to her.  Between where I saw JayJay and the edge of Morrisville-Carpenter Rd, I felt a change come over my disposition; I am sure the look on my face changed and also the set of my jaw.  "Happy-go-lucky" was replaced with "I'm-on-a-mission," because last year I learned a thing or two about the starts and also because ... whereas last year I was concerned about finishing, this year I wanted a time to validate the Permanent I had done on Tuesday, just four days before.

Last year, I was mentally prepared to ride the entire 200k solo, soft-pedaling.  Last year, not knowing what to expect out-of-the-chute, I was dropped by the lead pack (about 3/4 of the riders) by the time we got to the half-mile point.  Last year, by the time of the August 200 km brevet, I had finally figured out how to start.  This year, that mask of "I'm-on-a-mission" that came over me meant I was determined to grab the lead-pack, or at least those that I knew were faster than me but whom I could hold onto until the climb on Jack Bennett began.  I was behind Ricochet, he was losing the wheel in front of him; I said, "Robert, catch that wheel."  More space opened in front of Robert.  I went around him; this was no time to be fooling around.  (Irregular readers will realize just how unusual it is for Ricochet to NOT grab the wheel in front of him.  Probably even more unusual for me to grab a fast-wheel at the start of a ride.)

Robert asked if I knew where John was.  I answered, "No, and I'm not going to look for him, either."

I settled in and checked who I was near.  Tim, JohnO, Jerry were among the crowd in which I was zooming along.  "Good," I thought, "I know I can stick with these guys until Jack Bennett; they'll ride intelligently and not waste their energy; if I stick with them, I may gain as much as 15 minutes."  I relaxed a little.  Said hello to Tim, chatted with JohnO and probably some I'm forgetting.  It felt good.

I never met Chet and/or Cindy last year (they were always wayyyy ahead of me on their tandem), but the week before this brevet, I traded several e-mails with Chet in response to a request I had made for information regarding NC Bike Route #4 information east of Warrenton.  In the course of those e-mails, Chet had informed me that he was not in good shape this year.  Saturday, I "met" Chet and Cindy while going upslope on the little dipsy-doodle on Yates Store Rd.  I was going backwards compared to 97% of the lead pack.  Suddenly, there was a tandem going backward even faster than me.  I shouted out, "Hey, Chet!  It's Martin."  Possibly not the best timing to meet Chet and Cindy.

I was on the fog-line and suddenly a woman I'd never met was riding next to me.  We introduced ourselves.  She said her name was LeeAnne (I probably ought to check that spelling); I said, "oh, you ride with Mary and Tom."  She said that she tried to.  I explained that I didn't really belong up in the lead pack, that I was just sucking the draft for the first 17 or 18 miles, and that the only time I had ever ridden with Mary and Tom was because Mary was still tired from a 24-hour race the week before.  In a re-shuffle of the pack, I lost my place next to LeeAnne and ...

Found I was next to TomF.  I told him I'd just met LeeAnne and had explained to her the only time I'd ever ridden with him and Mary was because ... see above.  That reminded Tom of something.  "Hey," he said, "I proved you wrong!"  He had remembered that I had foolishly commented that it seemed, from looking at several of his 24-hour race TT results, that maybe 400 miles in 24 hours was just a hair beyond him.  He had taken that as a challenge when I had mentioned that during the Full Moon KLL last June, and had kept it as an incentive to keep going at Sebring.  Tom told me a bit about the end of his TT.  He also told me about LeeAnne's performance at Sebring.  I know he would have mentioned Mary's performance, but another shuffling of the pack and I was beside BryanR (who says he is targeting riding a bit slower than last year, but JohnP opined that Bryan is faster this year than last) and then JohnO.  I'm glad Tom got his 400+ miles; and glad to have provided him a little extra incentive.

At the turn off Lystra onto Jack Bennett, I found I was beside Jerry, so ... making a little extra effort, I told Jerry that I was going to edge ahead of him just so I could say I had been ahead of him at one point during this brevet.  Jerry said that doing that would be easy, because Beth was supposed to be at the Big Woods corner, and he was going to stop and hand off his jacket.  It didn't seem that getting ahead because he stopped was quite right, so I made sure to slide ahead before Beth came into view, telling Jerry that I was confident that he would catch me before we got up to US-15/501.

The Jack Bennett climb started.  Those ahead of me moved off; I waved those behind me to come around.  A voice said, "I'm with you."  I asked, "Is that you, John?"  The voice answered, "Yes."  I was thinking Ags.  But suddenly, Ags was beside me following Ricochet up the hill.  I knew the "John" that was behind me was still there, and could see that in addition to not being JohnA, it was also not JohnO.  I asked, "Which John?"  The answer came back, "JohnP."  (Except that he actually spoke his last name.)  I knew of JohnP from last year, but had never met him -- he was always ahead of me.  I asked if he was sure he didn't want to come around.  The mass of the lead pack being gone, JohnP came up alongside me and explained he was not in as good a condition as last year, and he was just wanting to stick with me.

I introduced myself as "Martin"; he asked if I was the "skiffun blog".  Well, he did ask that, but you don't think I actually remember the exact chronology, do you?  JohnP and I rode up Jack Bennett together.  Jerry caught and passed us just before the stop light at US-15/501.  Jerry got through on green.  JohnP and I got caught by a red light.  An unknown (to me) recumbent rider joined us at the light.

After the Jack Bennett climb (which seemed to me to take very little energy) John and I rode Andrews Store, Parker Herndon, Hamlet Chapel / Jones Ferry, Crawford Dairy and Chicken Bridge roads together.  The unknown recumbent would pass on the downhills and we would pass him on the uphills.  It was good riding company.  I swear it was taking no energy.  We were all three trying to get as far as we could before the expected WEST WIND started blowing.  We were Chicken Bridge Rd, I noted 9:14 am, when the first real hints of the wind made their presence known. 

We turned on to NC-87 to zip down to Castle Rock Rd.  I recalled that last October, Irregular Tito had missed the turn off NC-87, IvaHawk had ditched because he thought he was going to get run over by a truck, the-yet-to-be-named-Ricochet dropped his chain just as he turned off 87.  I was determined to NOT miss the turn, and to get off the highway as quickly as I could.  With that in mind, on that last little almost-nothing of a bump on 87 up to Castle Rock, I did my best Jerry impression -- meaning I suddenly stood and danced my way up that little rise.  Doing that apparently opened a gap between JohnP and myself.  After I'd made the turn, but John was still on 87, I called back that I would wait for him.  But when I turned back around on my saddle, the wind immediately dictated that I get in the proper cadence and stay there, regardless of whether I had company or not.  As a result, I did approximately the last 90 miles solo.
JohnP sent me a note (actually, he sent it to the entire NC rando list-serve); since it is clearly self-serving to do so, I reproduce the key sentence here:  "Martin, I tried to chase you to Snow Camp and then to Siler City. You just kept pulling away!  Cheers, JohnP."
The westbound rollers of the Old Greensboro Highway, aided by the increasing west wind, were not going to allow me "pop" them on Saturday.  I spun up most of them in a tiny gear and at a small pace.  However, I did do my "Jerry impression" again on one or two of them.  (I never used to stand up for any climb -- except a short, sharp one just after a turn or other reason that had reduced my speed to practically nil -- but after having completed the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway last September, I sometimes find that I'm up-out-of-the-saddle without realizing that I ever stood up.)

I arrived at the Snow Camp control to find three or five others there (two may have come in just behind me).  I was taking off my helmet when someone called someone else "Keith."  I asked, "Keith S?"  (I actually used his last name.)  An answer came from the guy about four feet away, "Yes."  "Hi, Keith, it's Martin," I said, "I didn't recognize you without your red Surly."  Keith chuckled, and assured me that the red Surly Long-Haul Trucker was doing him great service as his commuter bike.  Saturday was the first time I was ever at the same control at the same time as Keith.  Doc-on-a-bike Keith and his posse (altogether numbering five) left about the same time as JohnP and the unknown recumbent arrived.

The recumbent rider was Justin, from the DC randonneurs, doing his first ever "Alan brevet."  Having met Justin, and figuring that JohnP would soon be catching up to me despite his claiming he was not in good shape, I took off for Siler City.  Chet and Cindy arrived at Snow Camp before I left; I think JoAnn had also arrived before I left.

I think I was more than half-way to Siler City from Snow Camp when I encountered the first two returning randos.  That put me only about 12 miles behind.  The second two returning randos were Wes and one more rider I did not recognize / know.  I think the next was 2010-NC-rando-rookie-of-the-year Tim (that ought to embarrass him slightly -- he is so quiet and shy, and nice, but absolutely determined).  I don't recall the order after that, but I soon saw JohnO solo with his usual smile and wave (he later assured me that he rode most of the return in a group) and then, at about my 58-mile point, a line of six being led by TomF.  I didn't recognize anyone else in the line at the time -- I think I was "distracted" by a vehicle that was about to overtake the six and I was paying attention to where that vehicle was on the road relative to me.  I did hear someone shout out my name.  A mile or two later I realized it had been Ricochet.  I figured that Ags was also in that line and that John and Robert had stayed together the entire ride until then.  Obviously, from above, I have since learned that they had not stayed together the whole time; but luckily John had backed off staying with the leaders (or more likely was caught unprepared for the "three minute control stop") and had wisely waited for Robert.

The wind while on Siler City - Snow Camp Rd was quite "interesting."  Mostly a side-wind, partially a head-wind, but occasionally a tailwind.  There was no such confusion while on Harold Andrews Rd -- it was head-on into the building wind.

I arrived at the Siler City control to see the welcome sight of Joel with much food and drink.  I must have been a bit tired -- I made use of his truck's tailgate as a seat.  Joel told me it was 11:22 -- 4h,22m from Morrisville to Siler City -- I was pleased -- the first half of my "mission" was accomplished on target -- even with the building headwind.  I started thinking about a revised "mission."  I filled up the water bottle(s), mixed up another bottle of E-load, ate some pretzels, chips, part of an orange and some other goodies including at least two Rice Krispie treats.  Chet and Cindy, JohnP, Justin and JoAnn (in some order, almost certainly different from that just listed) arrived at the control.  I could have stayed, eating Krispie treats for quite a while, but I set out for the return to Snow Camp at 11:32.

The wind was a definite plus on Harold Andrews Rd.  I saw Mike O'C riding solo on H.A.Rd. -- he looked like he was HATING the wind, and maybe the bike -- I tried to call out something encouraging.  I saw BikerBob near the Harold Andrews corner with S.C.-S.C.Rd -- I think we shouted encouragement to each other.  I saw Chloe a bit further on, but didn't realize who it was until after we'd passed each other -- I hope I called out something encouraging.  Chloe was the last rando I saw until I met JayJay leading Andy, about three miles south of Snow Camp.  I slowed and yelled a specific encouragement to them.  I continued zooming on to Snow Camp.

I quickly got my card stamped and bought a very important energy drink -- a small Coke -- it was cheaper than a Pepsi.  I sat on the bench, munching on four of those round chocolate PowerBall things (150 calories), drinking the Coke (190 calories and who knows how much sugar-type stuff), refilling one bottle from the jugs left behind by faster randos, and contemplated how things have changed in 51 weeks.  A year ago, I would have sat on that bench, wondering and worried about whether I would / could finish the ride.  Saturday, I sat on that bench, KNOWING I was going to finish, and unless there was some disaster, I would finish with a personal record time and with gusto and energy.  God, it felt good.

JoAnn arrived just before I left.  I recognized JoAnn as one the numerous randos that has always been ahead of me, but I did not know her name.  We introduced ourselves.  I thought for one milli-second about waiting for JoAnn and riding the last 50 miles together.  But then remembered that I was on a "mission," so I did not bring up the subject, and I lit out for Morrisville.

I don't recall very much from those last 50 miles.  I do recall the wonderful tailwind on the Old Greensboro Highway -- I did most of that 4.66-mile stretch in my big chain ring instead of the middle chain ring (augmented on the several steeps by the small chain ring).  I even went over the top of a couple of those rollers in the big chain ring.  Then, I was caught by the seemingly endless "Iron Butt" parade of Harleys.  I thought the "parade" was never going to end ... probably less than a mile long, but it seemed longer ... and every single one of those motorcycles and its "muffler" system was tuned to be LOUD or LOUDER.  I thought of Vance's comments about certain types in pick-up trucks ... I swear EVERY single one of those motorcycles "gunned" their engine as they passed me ... certainly proving that something they had was bigger (or at least noisier) than something I had.
I reached out to JoAnn via the NC-rando-list-serve, asking if she was engulfed by the "Iron Butts".  She responded, "I sure did get passed by the 4 minutes of cycles. I agree that they seemed to gun it right in my ear, but lots were also giving me two fingers up - the first and fourth. I figured that was a friendly hi, but have not seen that before."
JohnP also sent a note:  "I was sitting at Snow Camp eating some mustard on my pretzels when that line of bikes went by.  It was irritating."
There was quite a bit of additional discussion on the NC-rando-list-serve following my inquiry.  I won't repeat it here.  But I will comment that while on the Blue Ridge Parkway trip last September, when climbing, one would hear the Harleys coming from several miles back, the noise echo-ing up the mountainsides.  The BMW touring motorcycles, and some other brands, were so quiet that sometimes I didn't hear them until they were within a 100 yards or even closer.  One set just described was annoying and sometimes nerve-wracking.  The other set was neither.
After the "Iron Butt" parade was past, Lindley Mill and Old Switchboard / Castle Rock Farm roads passed without incident.  The only things I recall are that  (1) sometimes, the west wind was not as helpful as one would wish,  (2) I had to remind myself on several occasions, sometimes within seconds of the previous reminder, "don't push the pace, just keep a good cadence, that will be faster in the long-run," and  (3) I was quite pleased to see the chip-seal portion of Castle Rock give way to the smooth portion.

I next recall the winds slamming me about while crossing the Chicken Bridge.  And the next thing I recall was "waking up" and thinking, "hey, you need to be alert for Parker Herndon Rd" just moments before I reached the turn for said Parker Herndon Rd.  I know there are downs-and-ups on Chicken Bridge Rd, Crawford Dairy, and Jones Ferry / Hamlet Chapel, but I must have been in some alternate universe -- because I recall none of it.

Parker Herndon Rd seemed much rougher than last year.

I paused at the Andrews Store Rd / US-15/501 corner, across from the store, in the sunshine, to munch some nabs and take a good drink (you have to take a good drink after eating those crackers).  I saw that there were several bicycles leaning up against the store, but I figured that they had to be non-randos because I knew that there was no way I could ever have closed the gap on Doc-on-a-Bike Keith and his posse.  (Turned out I was wrong.)

I shoved off for an enjoyable rush down Jack Bennett Rd, and whoosh, next thing I knew I was turning on to Church St. in oldtown Morrisville.  Seeing Alan, I shouted out the finish time as per the clock on my cycle confuser ... "three thirty-one, Alan!" 

8h,31m elapsed clock time -- 29 minutes faster than the original mission -- 1 minute slower than the revised "mission."  8h,31m.  A full 90 minutes faster than I did the April Morrisville 200 km brevet last year.  A full 29 or 30 minutes faster than my record time for a 200k, set last October on this same Morrisville brevet course. 

7h,46m in-motion for the 125.3 miles that my confuser recorded.  My fastest ride, of any sort or any length, so far this year. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While waiting for MikeO and BikerBob (I had expected I would do much / most of the ride with those two gentlemen -- I didn't really think I could do a 9h,0m 200-km ride just four days after having done a similar effort), Alan showed me his new computer / RBA-central room -- very nice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I enjoyed every minute of post-ride socializing; I hope I didn't bore too many people to tears.

I particularly liked the quote Ian gave me from a certain Mark Thomas:  "The secret of doing these rides is to start easy, and then back off."  (I probably mangled the quote.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MUST MAKE SHORTER RIDE REPORTS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr-02: 

Morrisville 200 km brevet; 125.3 m.; 7h,46m in-motion; 16.1 mph; official rando time: 8h,31m elapsed clock time.

Jan tot: __9 rides; __671.4 m.; _46 hrs, 38 min; 14.4 mph.
Feb tot: __7 rides; __606.0 m.; _41 hrs, 18 min; 14.7 mph.
Mar tot: __7 rides; __544.8 m.; _35 hrs, 06 min; 15.5 mph.
Apr tot: __1 rides; __125.3 m.; __7 hrs, 46 min; 16.1 mph.
YTD tot: _24 rides; _1947.5 m.; 130 hrs, 51 min; 14.9 mph.
 _
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Addendum Apr-07:  Bryan put up his "Miles to Go" POV after I published.  Includes two "drift-back-thru-the-pack" videos.
 _

3 comments:

  1. Here's hoping you don't change a thing with your ride reports, Skiff. I enjoy each one.

    And a very hearty "Felicitations!" on your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the suggestion to stay the course on ride reports. Glad to hear you had a good ride and are seeing improvements over last year. You know what that means, right? 600K! I never saw those Iron Butts, so they must have been on Greensboro-Chapel Hill Rd and I was still making my way back to Snow Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean to imply that I'd stop blogging rides, just that I need to shorten and simplify. Perhaps more like Doc-on-bike Keith's favorite:


    Daylight riding:

    HOT. WINDY. HILLY. TIRED. All VERY.


    Nighttime riding:

    Chilly. COLD. WINDY (the wind changed direction). TIRED. All VERY.
    Also, so SLEEPY and nodding off 3:30 to 4:30, that I weaved around on the road worse than the Duke.
    So SLEEPY. So TIRED.
    Made bearable by riding companions Gary and Sara.

    ReplyDelete