Sunday, May 29, 2011

May-29: Benson Mule Pull 105 km Perm Populaire

For Just the Facts, see below. 
For the fanatasy version of this ridego to Research Trailer Park.

My first time on the "Mule Pull".
Janis left half-an-hour before MikeH, Dean and me.
I was counting on "Camaraderie Ride" from the git-go.
Had to settle for "let's chase Janis."
I didn't have the legs for that.
Yesterday's ride wore me out.

The "Mule Pull" and the "Get 'er Dunn" Populaires share some of the same roads.
I forget the name of the road that leads to Stancil Rd.,
But last week on "Get 'er Dunn", I did that climb up to Stancil in the 39/15 and it was a joy.
Today, same climb, slogging in the 39/25, refusing to go to the 30, barely made it up. 

I finally found some legs on the flat sections of Benson-Hardee Rd. 
It was just the right amount of flat, with farms, etc.,  that it made me think of NW Illinois.
With better legs, I did my one-legged pedaling exercises.
So that Robert couldn't claim that I had tricked him into an exercise that I don't do.
(I have witnesses, Robert.  However, they may be unreliable.)

Janis was heading out from Benson as I motored down the main drag to the published control.
I waved and kept going.
I needed a wash-room break.
Quickly filled my water bottles and looked at my watch.
We'd be only 15 minutes behind Janis.
Should catch her well before the intermediate control, and then get a short camaraderie ride.

Now, where have Dean and MikeH disappeared to.
Probably somewhere to drink (shudder) coffee.
Not at the McD's.  Hmmn.
Decided to ride back along the main drag and
See if I could locate a couple bicycles at one of the "open control" options.

Bikes found. 
Went inside restaurant.
Apparently there had been problems regarding whether to order breakfast or lunch.
Who do these guys think they are, anyway?  Jerry?

Their breakfasts finally arrived around 10:54 ... a full 20+ minutes after Janis left town.
11:10 -- finally under way.  Janis now has a 40 minute lead.
We couldn't catch her in 32 kms when she had a 30 minute lead.
Doubtful we'll catch her with a 40 minute lead on the reversed course.

We didn't.
I did manage to ride the entire return in the 39/15.
Tired, but not exhausted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May-29: 

Benson Mule Pull 105 km Perm Pop ; 67.6 m.; 4h,39m in-motion; 14.5 mph; rando elapsed time:  5h,40m. 

Q-1 tot: _23 rides; _1822.2 m.; 123 hrs, 05 min; 14.8 mph.
Apr tot: __7 rides; __793.8 m.; _52 hrs, 28 min; 15.1 mph.
May tot: __9 rides; __805.4 m.; _55 hrs, 32 min; 14.8 mph.
YTD tot: _39 rides; _3421.4 m.; 230 hrs, 07 min; 14.9 mph.
 _

1 comment:

  1. Martin had a good workout, since he was attempting to single-gear it to Benson on his superfluous-gear bicycle. He wasn’t complaining. At one point, in fact, he was doing some one-legged pedaling. Mike and I couldn’t figure out whether Martin was cramping, had “hot foot,” or was just showing off. According to Martin, he was “training.” That’s his story. As a witness, who must stick just to the facts, all I can say for sure is that he was doing some pretty entertaining one-legged gyrations

    ReplyDelete