Saturday, October 15, 2011

10/15/11: 200K Brevet Morrisville to Siler City

Setting
Wheels away from Morrisville at 6am and 50 degrees. First decision of the day - add leg warmers? Yes and smart move...90% of the people can't be wrong. They were not removed during the ride. Dark, lights, reflective gear then off we go. My guess.... there were 30 to 40 riders.

Goals
I can ride long just not fast yet, so lets work on improving my speed.
Another goal was the get thru the controls quickly.

Results
PR...total time was 7:46 hrs with 17 mph avg speed....that's good
PR.... for 126 miles only 22 minutes off the bike....that's good

The Ride
I rode behind but with the fast group to the Jack Bennett hill at about 17 miles. Then I hung in there with the third group. Knowing I am at 90 to 95% effort and others are probably 60 to 80%, did not bother me, but what did is the normal question.... am I going out too hard and will blow up later?

First control - stamp, eat banana get on bike. Came in with third group, left with second group. Jerry and Joel lead us the next 13 miles to the turn around /control in Siler City.

Second control - The first group was still there. After a quick sandwich, refilled water bottles and stamp back on bike. This time it was Jerry, Joel and John leading with me off the back but keeping them in sight most of the time.

Third control - Arriving at last control, I was quick and left out with JJJ group.

Jerry on his single speed hammered it so off the back I go again....but still pushing it, trying to keep my effort in the uncomfortable range, keep them in sight and rode about 30 miles solo. Joel and I connected and I was fortunate to have enough legs to keep up with him the final 25ish miles. The real story... he was handicapped as he just finished his 1000K on Monday this week, but a guy has to take advantage of any opportunity. :-) This maybe my one and only chance to ride with him.

I was on the edge of bonking when we finished as it took me awhile to think and talk right, so I must have pushed...that's good.

Alan had a great cook out and social afterwards. Thanks for the volunteers.

So question for the day... Why was my face the only one coated with salt? Any ideas, please provide via comment. Dean?

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, did you compose and type that while you were still at the picnic?

    Not even I can blog a ride that soon after completing same.

    And Andy was "worried" about "my blog" going without a write-up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete