Sunday, December 23, 2012

Dec-22: Windy Day on the BB Perm-Pop

The plan was:
  1. Egypt Mtn (EM) on Dec-01 to maintain the R-series, 
  2. Bahama Beach (BB) on Dec-02 to nab P-12 and EXACTLY 10K RUSA kms. 
Then, a funny thing happened on the way to the ... goal.
And ... in the end ... I abandoned the 10K-exact game.
In favor of some additional rides with friends.

One of those friend-rides was good for Ricochet Robert's 10K-Hound ride.
That ride was also good for BobB's R-36.
That ride was also my 100th 100-miler.
And Ian broke his rear derailleur cable and was mostly "shiftless" the last 22 or so miles.
Good memories from giving up the exact 10K-game.

Because Jerry had maintained his P-series the weekend of Dec-01/02,
He was looking for an R-ride the next weekend.
Byron decided to join us on Egypt Mtn rather than solo on Triple-L.
That resulted in a good ride, and each gave and received some help.

Last weekend, I did a "club" ride with some of the Irregulars (IR(s)).
Big fun, but the P-series clock was starting to tick loudly enough that it had become audible.

I might have been able to sneak in BB on Tuesday or Wednesday -- in warm conditions.
But Monday evening or Tuesday morning, BobB sent an e-mail noting that it appeared that I had not yet gotten my P-ride for December, and that he'd like to do Bahama Beach with me on Saturday.
Friends-thing, again.  ;-)
I let Ricochet know that I would do BB with BobB on Saturday, instead of an IR ride.
Robert decided to join the rando BB fun.

Upon arriving at the start, Bob remarked, "thanks for riding with us today, instead of in the warmth earlier this week."  I returned a slight smile.

I don't recall much from the ride, except:
  • the WNW wind was the worst wind I'd ridden in since the Fleche in April, 
  • but there was nothing approaching the side-wind slog across the bridge to get onto the OBX. 
  • Bob thought I had eased off to stick with him, but other than near the crest of a couple climbs, I didn't ease-off anything -- that was all I had,
  • Robert has definitely re-found his Ricochet.  Appears he has finally recovered from the ToC-1200, and the subsequent 1000 and then his chase to 10K-Hound.  He dropped Bob + me on every climb. 
  • Robert informed me, in response to a comment similar to the above bullet-point, that he was finally trying something that Byron and I had suggested to him months and months ago:  do some faux-single-speed rides.  
  • Near the end of the ride, I mentioned to Bob (Ricochet had rocketed off our front) that the ride had been a classic "why am I going to do this become I'm glad I did this" ride. 
I think I've done this course too many times this year (22 times -- only 3 were "reversed").
I can't recall seeing / noticing anything en route -- and I know I didn't see the wild turkey that Robert said flew "right in front of [me]".
Either I've done the route too many times this year or I was keeping my head-down because of the wind.

That's my story for this ride.
It may be my last rando story of the year.
But I might try to sneak in another BB when Robert isn't looking,
Just to finish with more kilometers than him.  :-o
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Dec-22:   

--> Bahama Beach 103-km perm-pop --> ; 74.1 m.; no idea really, but I'm guessing 4h57 in-motion; 14.9 mph; BB elapsed time:  4h56.  

Q-1 tot: _22 rides; 1,610.3 m; 108h42; 14.8 mph; _1947 RUSA kms
Q-2 tot: _29 rides; 2,711.5 m; 182h48; 14.8 mph; _2700 RUSA kms
Q-3 tot: _32 rides; 2,958.9 m; 197h17; 15.0 mph; _2983 RUSA kms
Oct tot: _10 rides; __868.8 m; _58h45; 14.8 mph; _1089 RUSA kms
Nov tot: __7 rides; __658.8 m; _43h07; 15.3 mph; __876 RUSA kms
Dec tot: __4 rides; __400.3 m; _26h16; 15.2 mph; __517 RUSA kms. 
YTD tot: 104 rides; 9,208.6 m; 616h55; 14.9 mph; 10112 RUSA kms

After the ride, after I had updated my Excel ride log, I saw that, during the commute back from the finish of BB, I had set a new personal record for most miles cycled in a calendar year (last year I finished with 9204-and-change).  I guess these things will happen if you ride your bicycle often enough / far enough. 

Almost forgot, this ride was for my P-12. 

[Goes along with R-29, C-34, M-46.]   

No comments:

Post a Comment