Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Lumpy 600k from Mars Hill and the Girl in the Red Dress - July 27, 2013

Mars Hill 600k - this was Bryon's kind of ride --we did have about 6 miles of flatness down by the river.  All 4 distances started together - 200, 300, 400 and 600k with 4, 4, 1 and 3 riders respectively. 

The 600k (373 miles) consisted of a 400k loop and another 200k loop all starting and finishing in Mars Hill.  Luke, Joel and I were the 600k riders.   

Many of us went back to our college days by spending Friday night in a Mars Hill College dorm - thanks for Tony for arranging this and putting on the ride.  
 
Off we go at 6am Sat - It rained early in the ride and I was wet but warm for a long time.  There were 2 or 3 basic groups early in the ride with the 200 turning off about 35 miles and 300 off at first control 78 miles.  I was dropped once when the leaders took a wrong turn and sprinted to catch up.  Then a short stop at the next stop to connect with the group.  
Everyone feeling good at first control - Shady Valley, Tn at 79 miles
At the start, Tony had suggested I travel light and to pace myself, so plenty of sit down, gear down.    I was doing ok staying with Ian from GA, Luke and Joel on the hilly sections then found myself struggling to do so when hills became smaller.  I said goodbye to the group about 90 miles and rode solo back to Mars Hill at 250 miles seeing them at Bristol, VA and Newport, TN controls as I was 30 to 45 minutes behind. 

The dense fog and foggy glasses made it difficult and slowed the pace the last 50 miles Sunday morning before sunrise crossing back over the mountains in to Mars Hill as I had to ride my brakes down all the steep hills. 

Mars Hill arrival was 450am Sunday about 40 minutes after the group.  Then eating, shower, 2 hour sleep and eating, I was on the bike a little after 8am Sunday, leaving before Joel and Luke as I needed less beauty sleep.  The 52 miles to Waynesville, NC took over 5 hours due to climbing, heat and an extra stop.  I saw the guys coming in as I left.  I was concerned about meeting the time limit as my schedule was to finish with one hour to spare and I was then running 30 minutes late. 

The signs in Tenn and Western Carolina were lacking.  I took a wrong turn, did not consult by phone app. so added 7 bonus miles.  Needless to say my pace quickened.  Luke and Joel were in the Marshall control when I arrived.  The 3 of us rode the last 30 miles together with Tony joining us with about 10 miles to go...completing the 600k in 39.5 hours with 30 minutes to spare.  
 
Mars Hill 600 -- complete
Highlights
  • lots of climbing.... some wide and some narrow roads.   Some long grinding climbs and some very steep ones.  Good to have the switch backs so you do not see the entire climb at once.
  • great scenery in the mountains
  • I still had good climbing legs at the end so training must be working.
  • the picture in my head of the sweet young thing in her red dress at Woodfin control eyeing over Luke and Joel from behind then noticing I caught her in the act.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Robert on what is likely the toughest 600 Tony has put on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, on behalf of Ricochet Robert + myself, I express our thanks to Bob for providing the re-touched "complete" photo -- one can actually see the "three amigos," now.

      Delete
  2. Great summary. Definitely a lot of fun. Rain, hills, beautiful scenery. It is fun and challenging to ride a new course every once in a while.

    Robert had a great ride and was very upbeat each time we passed. He makes it sound like he was traveling a lot slower, but every time we stopped he rolled-up right behind us. And he was ahead most of Sunday until he decided to ride the bonus miles.

    This is a tune-up for Endless Mountains next week.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a LOT of rides with Ricochet Robert since May-01-2010. Planned "Irregular" rides, just riding around, rando. I can only recall three times when Robert was not upbeat -- ALL were in 2011.

      1. May-07-11. A planned Irregular's ride. Quote: "... waited at one stop sign to confirm that Robert and I were 'putzing it in' and the rest should just go on. Robert was quick with the 'yes.'"

      2. May-14-11. Alan's 600 brevet. Quote: "Turnbull Rd. ... We'll take turns leading ... . 'Ragged Robert,' not the usual 'Ricochet Robert,' pleads 'please don't make me pull.'"

      3. Nov-25-11. A planned Irregular's ride, to do Gunn Poole Rd and the Badgett Sisters Parkway. Quote: "Robert kept expressing dismay at the downslopes ... [and] exclaimed [repeatedly] 'I don't like this'."

      ...Martin

      Delete
  3. Sorry. No photos, no red dress. Methinks you were bonked.

    ReplyDelete