Monday, August 19, 2019

Jul-31: P-series Rescue

I rescued my P-series today.

Woke up at 4:57.
Three minutes before the alarm was to go off.
I needed to pee, and I had a colossal head-ache.
I turned off the alarm, took a pee, and went back to bed.
Woke up about 2 hours later -- no headache.
So, instead of doing "Bay Leaf - Oxford - Bay Leaf" starting at 0600,
I switched to "RBR" starting at 0800.


The outbound was great, but I was too enthusiastic and rode too fast.
Outbound in 2:08 in-motion.

Then inbound starting at about 10:16 or 10:17,
Into the increasing breeze, into the increasing temps, and
I had cooked myself on the way out since
I had ridden like an adult that was going for their first bicycle ride in 30 years and
Was loving it and ... you can guess.
I was only approx four minutes slower between Berea and Creedmoor inbound than outbound,
But after that, ugh !
Riding up the inclines at 4.5 to 5 mph, wondering if I could make it back.
Ugh !

I don't know the temp when I started at 8 am, but it wasn't hot, just warm.
The temp when I finished at 1:20 pm was 90F, with a heat index of 95.
Tired from the heat and worn out.
Much, much better to start at 0430 and finish at around 0930 (before the heat gets to be too much).

There is a gas station / c-store at the corner
Where Six Forks Rd makes that 90-degree turn / intersects Possum Track Rd.
I had never stopped there before.
Today, I stopped to acquire a second en-route cold drink as I was completely out of fluids.
Here's some advice: avoid using the rest room there if at all possible !
2:48 in-motion inbound.

Total rando elapsed time: 5h20.
[On May 30, I did RBR in 4h54. 
June 19 -- Iva met me for breakfast in Berea and that elapsed time came to 5h36.] 

Six weeks since my last notable ride.
I should expect some trouble doing "even" a 100k.
Gonna' have to build back up to a 200, again, again, again.

I managed to get through work this afternoon.
Legs should feel better after a night of rest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment