Thursday, February 5, 2009

First Post

I am starting this blog so that I can keep track of my cycling data, even when my computer breaks down. I'll see how this goes.


Jan-24:

PUE: lake loop + Strawberries; w/ Snapper, BigWaveDave, PaulN, Heath, Peter, Jason, me; 40.0 m.; 2hrs, 29min; 16.05 mph.

Ytd: 1 ride, 40.o miles; 2hrs, 29min.

To Heath:

Today's ride of 40 miles produced an avg speed for me of 16.05 mph. My avg for all rides during all of last year was 16.05 mph. Today's ride was actually a teensy bit slower according the info I recorded on my log, but the difference is less than the tolerance of the data I record. So ... the same.

However, compared to all my rides August thru December, '08 in which (removing the two MS-150 rides where Bike Marshal duties and the record heat resulted in SLOW riding), I avg'd 16.5 mph, on an avg ride distance of 47.5 miles, I can safely say that today's ride was slower than what I had been avg'ing lately.

Interestingly, from my ride stats from the 19 rides that I counted as "irregulars" in 2007 and the 20 rides that I counted as "irregulars" in 2008, I find that the avg pace each year was 15.9 mph. So today's was a bit faster than those averages. However, the avg distance of the 2007 and 2008 rides was 56.6 miles and 57.2 miles, respectively.

Was today's ride slow? I am not sure; but it can't qualify as "fast"! And I am sure that when you are healthy and in better shape, I will have a lot of difficulty in hanging on to your wheel.



Jan-31:

PUE: modified Assault on Flat Rock; w/ Dave-not-the-Wave and Paul #2; approx 56 miles; approx 15.5 avg mph --> est. 3hrs, 36min. (My Cateye was wet from last minute bike cleaning and never registered anything the entire ride. DntW reported 58 miles from and back to his front door.)

Ytd: 2 rides, 96.0 miles; 6hrs, 5min.

To Snapper:

Well, Snapper, another wheel pulling steadily ahead of me has been added to the group. On his heavy bike with "rat-cage" pdeals and fenders in place, easily leaving me behind on any flat or upslope on which he might so desire. Rule #3, don't drop the leader, continues to be important.


His reply:

What was he riding? A commuter?


My response:

Paul #2 rode a silver Specialized "something", that he informed Dave-not-the-Wave and me that he originally got to ride the greenways with his childen. I don't think it was a commuter, there where no panniers; but one could "messenger bag" everything, I guess. I hardly pay attention to anyone's bike, and the names of the Specialized hierarchy confuses me, so it was in one ear and out the other.

Dave-not-the-Wave knew the model and the two of them exchanged pleasantries, and then I coaxed Dave into relating the story about how he got a free warranty upgrade from his "Roubaix" (sp?) to his "S-works" a few months ago when one or two of the cable embrasseurs (or was it water bottle embrassers - no, I think it was cables) just fell of the bike as the bike mech touched the bike when Dave's wife took it the the bike shop for a check-up.

How unaware of other's steeds am I? I can't play the game of "snearing" at the most expensive / advanced bike in the group, which you and Big Wave Dave introduced a week ago, because I don't notice.

How unaware of other's steeds am I? I didn't realize Paul had fenders until he was taking a turn leading and I was immediately behind him.

How unaware of other's steed am I? I didn't realize Paul was using pedals with clips until some time after I comprehended the fenders.

How unaware of the steeds of the group am I? I know I ride a Trek Pilot 5.0. I know Frank rides a used Trek 1500 which is probably one size too big for him (or at least he needs a fitting to try to eliminate or at least limit his neck pain). I know Dave-not-the-Wave rides a brand new, mostly red, Specialized S-works. I know Dave-ntW's friend Phil rides a mostly blue Trek Madonne 2.0 (or whatever the bottom of line Madonne is / was a couple years ago). I know Jason rode a Trek something last week. I know your bike is black.

Very observant, hey?


Snapper's further inquiry:

Fenders would have freaked me out a little. Pedals I can comprehend.So, just the three of you? And he left the group? But you reeled him back in right?

This weekend looks very promising.


And, again, my response:

Paul never left the group, but I think he could have -- except he didn't know where he was after the first 9 miles. He was reticent to lead too much early because of prior experiences with unknown groups and unknown rides leaving him exhausted. But he was stronger than me on each climb; he and Dave-ntW were well-matched I thought -- but that could be just that they slowed to same uphill speed so they wouldn't have quite so long to wait for me.

After Green Hill and Flat Rock roads, I was wondering if I would be able to keep up, especially into the never ending headwinds. Finally, on Rock Springs / Beaver Dam Rd I got some zip back, but not much.

On the two miles from on Old Weaver from Beaver Dam to New Light, Dave started to lag a bit, but I was too worried about myself to notice.

I took off on New Light from the Old Weaver corner at a quick pace (I like to TT that section and I guess the previous week was in my mind), but I don't know what the pace was because I had gotten my Cateye damp -- well, WET -- doing additional cleaning on the bike left over from the previous Saturday, and at the end of the ride my Cateye still registered 0.00 miles and 0 hrs, 0 min, 0 seconds of ride time. After about 1/2 a mile, Paul pulls up alongside and tells me that we "are man down". I thought he meant Dave had had a mechanical or a flat or an accident, so I pulled in at that one Church with the parking lot on both sides of New Light (also with a handy cemetary), and Dave was not in sight. Then here comes Dave. We re-caught him after letting him pass and Dave told us he was bonking -- American def'n, not English.

So that gives you an idea of Paul's ability. I was flagging, and Dave definitely had a problem until he stopped into the Peed Store and got some quick energy. Paul never gave a hint of trouble.

Dave was kitted out in full length tights; I had my usual knee-warmers; Paul was in regular cycling shorts.

Oh, yes, it was just the three of us. With headwinds everywhere except on New Light / Beaver Dam / Bruce Garner / Gordon Moore in the first 20 miles and the 2 miles on Old Weaver late in the ride. Some nasty little gusts. I have experienced worse.


To DntW:

Did you enjoy the Assault route, or did the bonking near the end prejudice too much for a fair analysis?

When Paul & I were riding back towards the Peed Store to look for you, Paul noticed a rider coming our way and asked me if it was you. I replied that it didn't look like you because the rider's legs were flaring about quite a bit. About that time some sunshine lit up the shoulder markings on your jacket, and I agreed that the rider was definitely you. I told Paul that you must be feeling worse than I thought because you don't ride in a wobbly way; I do, I said, but not Dave.

I found the headwinds annoying, and I didn't enjoy the ride / route as much as I usually have. That may because I was struggling a bit from approx the time we re-crossed NC-56 headed south until a point somewhere on Rock Springs / Beaver Dam Rd. My slowness on the climbs on Grove Hill and Flat Rock neither bothered nor worried me as you and Paul are both better (faster) climbers, generally.

I think that route is more enjoyable when there is a light northerly breeze instead of the W / WSW wind we had. I usually pay quite a bit of attention to the scenery on that run down to the left curve / bridge on Grove Hill, but for some reason I didn't seem to last Saturday. Likely I was more concerned with putting on a good face than enjoying the ride.


DntW responds:

really enjoyed the ride. I should have eaten something earlier but at least I got some fuel before it was too late. I ended up at 58 miles at my front door. Great route!

I passed you Sun on Norwood. I was driving the big red fire truck.



Feb-1:

BJP: Pleasant Union Ch Rd (twice) & over to Norwood fire station; crotch discomfort & sore butt; 12.3 miles; 45min, 30sec. (My heart was not in this ride; and my butt was sore. Guess I've lost some of the cast-iron back there by only riding 7 times since Thanksgiving.)

Feb-td: 1 ride, 12.3 miles; 45.5min.
Ytd: 3 rides, 108.3 miles; 6hrs, 50.5min.

No comments:

Post a Comment