Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Plan ?

Background

The mountain metrics & centuries begin in late March, and really begin to fill the calendar in April and May, and June is crowded with them.

The NC Randoneurs have their first 200k brevet of the season on April-4th. While I don't necessarily intend to ride a brevet or any organized mountain ride, I do want to ride some longer rides this year.

I forgot to check the dates of White Lake and Kerr Lake triathlons.


Dave-not-the-Wave suggests a mtn ride

Also, Dave-ntW mentioned that he thought it would be nice to get a group (including "irregulars") together to go do an "impromptu" Three Hump Ride (Pilot Mtn, Hanging Rock, Saurtown). Dave has suggested "middle of May" as a good time for such a ride. I've never ridden a mountain climb, and I think the same can be said for most of the "irregulars"; I'd like to do some without breaking the "fun budget"; this would qualify.

I expect Dave-ntW will expand on his idea, and leave it to him to lead the organizing. However, for purposes of the following discussion, I will assume that "middle of May" means either May 16th or 23rd.


Target rides

Working backward, I'd like to suggest some rides to get us somewhat prepared for a mtn ride. Some of the following rides may qualify as an adventure in and of themselves.

~ May 2nd - Mt. Tirzah (~ 74 miles; "some" climbing; if a nice day comes along before this date, I'd love to ride to Mt Tirzah even before this date.)

~ Apr 18th - Stem-LakeDevin-Oxford-BR#1 (~ 78 miles; mostly flat; the beginning and ending of the Va Border Raid route)

Apr 4th - this is the day of the first NC Randoneur brevet of the year. Something long is called for.

Mar 21 - something longish. E.g., the "bonk route" from last year's Jun-7 ride. (I've never managed to complete this 68 mile route: the first time I bonked big time; the second time, my rear derailluer cable broke and I settled for an ~ 55 mile adventure.)

Mar 7 - something longish. Perhaps an "Eaton Rd Ramble".

1 comment:

  1. Skiffrun-

    Come on out for the brevet on April 4! It's open to everyone, we always have a friendly group with lots of different paces, and it's beautiful scenery. Try it- you'll like it!

    Hope to see you out there-

    Branson

    ReplyDelete