Saturday, November 14, 2009

Nov-14: W-E-T roads

I was on-time. 
But I needed to "sit down". 
So I drove over to BJP. 
"Sat down." 
Got caught in a "5 minute" conversation. 
Great, now I'm likely late. 

Decided to start my ride from BJP and just cycle to PUE. 
Skipped pumping up the rear tyre. 
Still late. 
"Sprint" (ha) to PUE. 
No one there. 

BobH's truck was there. 
Didn't know to expect him. 
Did Iva ride from home to PUE and then do a ride with Bob? 
Dunno. 

Called Harvey. 
No answer. 
Hadn't expected one. 

Called LT. 
He answered ! 
Let's try riding at 10-ish if the wind dries these roads out some. 
He'll call me a bit before 10. 
Good plan. 
I need to pump up the rear tyre anyway. 

Back to BJP. 
Rear had slightly under 100 pounds pressure. 
I usually pump up to 120 so I can ride on 110. 

Gosh, the bike is wet and filthy. 
Wiped down the bike. 
Got most the junk (or is that gunk ?) off. 

Revisit the facilities. 
Read book waiting for LT to call. 
Decided to eat the apple I had with me. 

Big pickup rumbles into the lot. 
Wonder who that is? 
I see the front tag. 
Oh, it's LT. 
Unusual looking "phone". 

LT parks. 
I figure he'll hop out of truck. 
Then I see that Zeke is with him. 
I get out of my vehicle and get into LT's. 

I finish my apple. 
Zeke is very interested in the apple after I put the remains in a plastic "garbage" bag. 
Zeke scampers over and settles himself into the crook of my arm
so he can survey the outdoors and take advantage of my body heat. 

LT and I complain about the wet roads. 
We talk about respective cycling and / or "old-man" injuries. 
We pick a route to ride tomorrow. 
Encourage Zeke to go to his "papa". 
See you noon tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov-14

BJP:  to PUE and back; 5.0 m.; est 213 ft climbed --> effort index = 7; 0hrs, 19min; 15.4 mph. 

1st Qt. tot: 20 rides; 755.3 m.; 47 hrs, 31 min; 15.9 mph.
2nd Qt. tot: 43 rides; 2124.3 m.; 134 hrs, 59 min; 15.7 mph.
3rd Qt tot: 36 rides; 1947.2 m.; 121 hrs, 48 min; 16.0 mph.
Oct tot: 9 rides; 551.4m.; 35 hrs, 41 min; 15.4 mph.
Nov tot: 3 rides; 129.5m.; 8 hrs, 18 min; 15.6 mph.
YTD: 111 rides; 5507.9 m.; 348 hrs, 20 min; 15.8 mph. 

Rolling 12-mos.: 123 rides; 6006.9 m.; 378 hrs, 27 min; 15.9 mph  

2 comments:

  1. Ah, now I see what happened. Bob and I figured if you weren't there at 8:30 no way u were simply late.

    I arrived on the Cervelo at 8:20 AM to see only Bob's pickup in the parking lot. Odd, I thought. Martin is usually way early. I told Bob I didn't read my emai this morning. Maybe something came up. Bob and I left on the assigned route. The only thing we did wrong was to turn right on Olive Branch instead of going straight to Leesville and right on Doc N. So we lost a couple of miles there. Bob was hammering on Carpenter Pond, but once we got on Baptist, we settled into a leisurely pace. The lake is above full which was good to see. We turned left on Southview which is now smooth, scenic, and downhill - a nice road. Right on Kemp and left on Virgil. Back to CP where Bob picked up the pace again ... pulling me naturally. Then we turned right on Victory Church to conquer the Col de Madeleine on the way back to Norwood. Iva turned right on Macon arriving at the hours with 35 miles averaging a modest 14.5 mph for the trip. Thanks to Bob for riding and pulling.

    Iva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have called you, but I don't have "Iva" saved on the cell phone.
    I don't thnk I've ever had an Iva cell phone number.
    Don't have "BobH" saved on the cell phone, either.
    I think I once had a BobH cell number, but maybe not.

    I'm not I am familiar with the Col de Madeleine -- certainly not by that name.

    Seeing your avg pace, I guess I'm just as glad I didn't ride today because the point (for me) of the short ride was to go fast. I realized before I got on the bike that the roads might be slippery from wet. Before I got to Six Forks, I was sure that some of the roads were certain to be slippery from wet leaves and / or piles of wet pine straw on the road.

    ReplyDelete