Monday, February 21, 2011

Ricochet Robert Rides 300 km

A 300k ride adventure with spooky eyes and noises... 

As background, Robert's friend Lee says that he spent 20 years trying to get Robert onto a bicycle ... and now he can't get him off of it.

Robert's first bike ride as an adult was on Apr-24-2010 (the date of Alan's 300 km brevet last year).  Robert was 61 years young; he rode about 36 miles with some of the Irregulars.  I met Robert the next weekend on our Irregulars May-01-2010 ride; Robert rode about 71 miles that day, which included about 5 or 6 bonus miles; he also got separated from the entire group, and managed to forget to unclip while / before stopping and landed on the ground (twice).  [You aren't a real "clipless" rider until you've forgotten at least twice to unclip.]

Within a short time, I knew that Robert had the ability and the stamina and the ATTITUDE to ride long -- rando long.  How quickly did I recognize that?  Read the green text of the third paragraph of this previous blog post where Robert explains in his own words when I first suggested he might try randonneuring.

On our Irregulars rides, Robert is prone to breaking into song.  We tease Robert over his choice for his inspirational song.  I have never actually heard Robert singing on an Irregulars ride; however, every time he does break into song, it gets reported immediately.  That allows immediate teasing.  Because he knew I had never heard him singing his song on a ride, on one of his two Permanents so far (Jan-15 or Feb-01), Robert rode alongside me purposefully at one point just to sing his song -- he doesn't sing very well ;-)

After he sang his song, I asked Robert if he knew that he was also prone to start whistling while riding; I can't recall if he knew that he did that or not.  (I like his whistling better than his song.)  I told him that the first time I ever heard whistling on an Irregulars ride, I was leading the line, couldn't see anyone's face, but instantly knew it was him.  Robert asked how I could have known it was him.  My response:  I don't know; I just knew.  (Robert is not the only Irregular that is prone to breaking into sing-song or to start humming aloud; but the only other perpetrator of that within the group {that I know of} makes up his tune and words ... but usually not for very long at a time.)

Robert does NOT like riding solo.  I keep telling him that he ought to practice riding solo some, because when you show up at a rando ride, you need to be mentally prepared to do the entire ride solo; you probably won't have to do the entire ride solo ... but you might have to.

I received the following from Robert ... so, without edit, I am glad to share:
Martin, a little trip report to share with our IR team..... thanks for letting me know about this RUSA stuff....
A 300k ride adventure with spooky eyes and noises...
(photo by permission from BikerBob)
It was time for another riding adventure…..Saturday 2/19/11 a 300k RUSA brevet starting in Lumberton. Lots of questions in my mind prior to Sat morning:
This was my first out of town travel to ride… would I be prepared?
316k (196 miles) can I do it?
Can I finish with dignity (vs crawling home with mind and body shot)?
Can I ride a long distance by myself?
Can I ride and navigate at night?
As a lot of longer ride, we are faced with challenges…. Will I be prepared and able to handle them?
I did two 200k brevets in 2010 and finished both totally spent, crawling in at a snails pace and without a functioning mind. The two 200k in 2011 have gone well…. More relaxed pace, finished with legs and could think.
I arrived Friday at Lumberton to see 40 to 50 riders from 5 or 6 different states. There were about 40 riders signed up for the series of 200, 300, 400 plus 5 to 10 signed up for the 600 or 1000k. We started at 7am Sat with everyone riding out together. We had a strong head wind for the first 60 miles with flat terrain so I stayed with the big pack with the fast guys pulling for 25 miles. I knew I could not maintain that and had 175 miles to go. Jack and I dropped off and worked about 15 miles together until we hit the hills and he backed off. The remaining 160 miles I got to enjoy my own company. 
The strategy was to ride hard while the sun shines, cover as much distance as possible and try to join up with others for night riding. I have never ridden at night so needed to learn the tricks of the trade. 
Murphy and his law joined me. My cyclocomputer was not recording the correct distance and speeds. I missed a turn in Pinehurst with the wind at my back, on a slight down hill plus my legs feeling great. By the time I realized my mistake I was 5 to 7 miles down the road. After getting directions from a local, I back tracked up the hill and into the wind…. Nothing like adding 10 to 15 bonus miles to a 200 mile ride. Feeling like a fool continued. On that 2 lane busy road, I realized the railroad tracks I was crossing were at an angle to the road….no way I could get perpendicular to them. The wheel went into the track and down I went. The bike and I got up and off the road quickly and the knuckle head spent the next 10 miles spitting out sand. 
Some random observations. Down town Fayetteville on Sat night… too much traffic, and lights, really hard trying to read the cue sheet and needed to focus.
Pine Hurst / Southern Pines miles and miles of horse farms, just a gorgeous ride. We rode thru parts of Fort Bragg…. 15 to 20 miles thru pine forest with nothing else, like I was isolated from the world.
And yes, there are animals in the dark… heard the frogs cheering me on, saw foxes and my lights would hit spooky eyes close to the road. And talk about an adrenaline rush…I had 2 sneak dog attacks … could not see them at all…. One came barking and growling and at another location, middle of no where…all I heard were sprinting toe nails on the pavement. Very scary but all part of the adventure.
On Night traffic…. I must have had enough lights and reflective gear…. Most all of the on coming traffic dimmed their lights and cars passing gave me room. It was very peaceful out on the country road alone with the moon, my lights, the soothing sound of my tires on the road…. Makes a guy feel like whistling or singing…
Were the goals accomplished?
The preparation was fine as nothing was lacking. And yes I can do 200 miles with 160 on my own, 60 at night and even with a little detour and couple of additional challenges make it to the final destination on time. (total time 15.5 hours). I knew with 30 miles to go I still had strong legs so continued to push… great feeling.
A special thanks for all the help and advice from my IRs team members as I develop and enjoy these riding adventures with your assistance. 
Robert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Feb-22-2011:  A bit more information from Robert:
My running GPS does not have the battery capacity for 15 hrs and I decided to save it for the last leg and I am glad I did.  ...  This last leg included riding thru Fayetteville. 
Robert's garmin stats -- last leg only 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Feb-21-2011:  Link to "Doc on a bike", aka, Keith S.  Same brevet.  Some photos.  

Link to "Biking Around NC" with "Biker Bob".  Same start time.  Same start location.  Same finish location.  Different brevet.  Ricochet figures prominently in one photo (of the two on the post).
 _

6 comments:

  1. Words fail me. Well done, Rapid Robert. I will consider 300K once I get reincarnated.

    Iva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricochet had quite a ride and showed his talent for writing, too.

    Tito

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Robert. For someone who says he hates to ride solo, you pulled off a big one. Sorry you took a spill on those tracks. You were looking good at Ellerbe. And thanks for the warm welcome at Lumberton Super 8 Sat a.m. - I didn't even make it through the office breezeway before you stopped me with a big bright hello!
    ... Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Skiff,
    Robert writes well.
    Encourage him to blog?

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Robert's report too, Skiff. See if you can keep him on retainer. Félicitations, Robert!

    ReplyDelete