Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jul-03: Leesville-Leasburg-Leesville 204 km Permanent

Independence Weekend Fitness Test -- Stage 2 of 3 
Alternate Name for L-L-L:  Tour de Flat River 
After all, the route crosses the river 8 times, 
And parallels the river for its entire course. 

I once referred to this Permanent as Hell-Hell-Hell ... 
I'm not taking that back. 
A month after that, I almost melted.  

Since that later experience, I have successfully completed this course three times.
All it took was waiting for Summer to pass and be replaced with Autumn and Winter.  

But it is Summer again, and I wanted to successfully complete this course in the HOT season.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Irregular and rando riding buddy Ricochet Robert has his eye on going to Paris in August. 
He is already qualified, but trying to "up" his training.  

Also, in mid-to-late April, Ricochet had some "life" come up,
And that led to his first ever difficult period of cycling. 
Ricochet has only been cycling as an adult since Apr-24-2010. 
He had one complete year of riding over or thru every cycling hurdle presented him. 
Since late-April, it has been a different story. 
He's been "searching for his legs" and learning how to get through rides when he feels ... 
Like crap.  

Ricochet was going to do a NC mountain 600 this weekend with another Irregular / rando -- JohnA.
However, John came to his financial and family obligation senses and decided to not attempt 
To qualify nor go to France.  

So ... Ricochet came up with the "Independence Weekend Fitness Test".
A gentler, kinder 600k ... doing a different north of Raleigh Permanent on three consecutive days. 
I told him I'd ride with him as much as I could take.  

Yesterday, the flat "Showdown at Black Creek".
Today, "Hell-Hell-Hell".  Except that Ricochet LOVES the course. 
Tomorrow, "Kerr Lake Loop". 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
0600 official start.  We got cards signed at 0605. 
Ricochet says he will point out to "owner" Byron that the donut shop opens at 0600. 
An entire hour before any other establishment in the strip mall.  

An easy start as we each waited for our legs to warm up.
First control, 17+ miiles into the ride, our in-motion average was 14.1 mph. 
The first 17 miles isn't too bad, but it isn't easy, either.  

Up to Bahama ... down to Lake Michie (first crossing of the Flat River) ... up the Michie Wall.
Some respite on Bahama Rd.  The stair-case rollers on Hampton Rd. 
A quick mile on Red Mtn Rd.  Just long enough for the second crossing of the Flat River.
Moores Mill Rd ... third crossing of the Flat River ... up the Flat Wall ... to Mt. Tirzah. 
Control at / in Mt. Tirzah ... 39+ miles ... in-motion avg 14.1 mph.  

Screaming descent down to Timberlake.
And the easy part of the course to Hurdle Mills and several miles beyond. 
"Easy" ... but the chip-seal is in poor shape and that can be quite jarring.  

Then Hester Store Rd and Gordonton Rd ... with the longest outbound climbs.
And, in the opinion of the route owner, the toughest climbs on the course, period. 
Arrive at Leasburg ... in-motion avg 14.1 mph. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
A long stop in Leasburg to eat and drink and ... whatever. 
Fun on Gordonton Rd and Hester Store Rd again. 
Ricochet taking the KOM points. 
And he foolishly tried to get the "bottom of the valley" points. 
His lead at the top was never enough.  

I decided to attack the slight upsloping chip-seal crap road.
I kept attacking past the Rock of Ages Winery. 
Backed off a little just before and after the fifth crossing of Flat River just after Hurdle Mills. 
Just before reaching Dick Holeman Rd, Ricochet commented "it is hot."
I responded, "Robert, the first two times I did this course, the highs were 96 and 101.
"This has been a veritable walk in the park."

That road into Timberlake has always taken a toll on me.
Not today! 
I zipped across US-501 at 23 mph.  Got lucky on the timing of the light. 
Ricochet had been trying to get back to my wheel, but the light caught him. 
I attacked through Timberlake and about half-way back to Mt. Tirzah. 
Then realized there was no Ricochet in my mirror.  

Into Mt. Tirzah for each of us.  Just water, thanks.
Then down to re-cross the Flat River for the sixth, seventh and eighth times. 
Each of us riding a bit more intelligently. 
After all, we're supposed to do another 200 tomorrow.  

At the penultimate control, with 17+ miles to go ...
Ricochet announces that he can't ride tomorrow. 
And I'm having an abrasion issue.  

Slogging in much of the last 17 miles.
Kemp and Victory Church roads, Boxelder, and some of Ray Rd deserve respect. 
Especially after 120+ miles.  

Ricochet concludes that he has legs even though he is tired.
(I always knew he had legs.  So did all the other Irregulars.  Only Ricochet doubted.) 
But it is only Ricochet that matters.  After all, he is the one that has to believe in himself.  

I am tired.  My abrassion seems to be under control.
I'll ride tomorrow. 
After all, there is still an outside chance I might be able to chase a particular goal. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The above post is ... quite disjointed.  
I keep noting that I usually don't plan them ... I just type them
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Jul-03: 

Leesville-Leasburg-Leesville 204 km Permanent; 127.1 m.; 8h,43m in-motion; 14.5 mph; rando elapsed clock time: 10h,51m.

Q-1 tot: _23 rides; _1822.2 m.; 123 hrs, 05 min; 14.8 mph. 
Apr tot: __7 rides; __793.8 m.; _52 hrs, 28 min; 15.1 mph.
May tot: _10 rides; __894.1 m.; _63 hrs, 45 min; 14.7 mph.
Jun tot: _13 rides; __917.0 m.; _61 hrs, 01 min; 15.0 mph.
Jul tot: __2 rides; __254.1 m.; _16 hrs, 56 min; 15.0 mph.
YTD tot: _55 rides; _4681.2 m.; 314 hrs, 23 min; 14.9 mph. 


3 comments:

  1. It is flipping irritating when blogger decides to do whatever it wants with the fonts, etc., instead of what it is supposed to do ... and what shows in the editor and the preview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep riding, typing, riding, 'cause I'm looking forward to the next installment!

    Dean/Raleigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmn.

    Early in my Jul-04 ride, I decided I should delete the above and replace with the quirky observation type post that I really wanted to do ... but was too tired to remember when I typed the above.

    Now, taking Dean's comment into account, and re-reading the post, and having completed my Jul-04 ride:

    I think I'll leave the post as it is. After all, deleting and replacing would be contrary to the "schtick" of "I don't plan 'em -- I just type 'em."

    ReplyDelete