Sunday, February 5, 2012

Feb-04: Get 'er Dunn 102-km Perm-Pop

Friday, Feb-03, Dean and MikeH did the "Get 'er Dunn" for Dean's 100th time (we knew he'd eventually get there).  I wasn't along for the centenary ride.

Q,:  What is 100 in "prime numbers"?
A.:  2 x 2 x 5 x 5.

Q.:  Why did "prime numbers" pop into my head?
A.:  I have no idea, but ...
------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, Feb-04, I did do the Get 'er Dunn 102-km permanent-populaire with MikeH.

Q.:  What is 102 in prime-numbers?
A.:  2 x 3 x 17.

We started at 0800 to beat the rain expected to arrive around 1400.
We succeeded in that.

Mike insisted I commit to an easy ride since his legs were tired from the day before.
I agreed.
I guess we succeeded at that because each of us claimed to be "feeling great" at the end.
Tired legs?  Spin-em-out.
I wonder what the Phun Physiologist would write or say on that.


We had an enjoyable, seemingly quick ride.
I think it seemed quick because we chatted almost the entire time.
What about?
Well, contrary to my usual claim of recalling nothing,
I do know that, among other things, we chatted about preparing oneself for an SR.

Mike was / is of the opinion that one should "taper" into the SR, or the individual rides.
I am of the opinion that one should build up to them, and keep building through them.

Mike may be thinking of riding the series "at his limit".
I'm not sure on his thoughts on that.


The following was NOT discussed during the ride,
But I'm in the mood to type it.

I figured in 2010 to do the SR "soft-pedaling" the entire way,
Or at least until I knew what I was doing.
Almost worked in 2010.
I had to dismount after 300-miles of the 600k,
Due to ... a disagreement between my shorts and a certain appendage.

In 2011, I "attacked" the 200, or anyway, I was-on-a-mission.
Backed off some on the 300.
Backed off more on the 400.
And after 50-miles of the 600, realized I had the wrong mental approach,
And backed off even more.

I'm not sure I should think of the 2011 - 600 as a strategy for me, though.
My entire focus was on getting my buddy Ricochet to Paris,
Despite his lack of legs.

Ricochet got to Paris, and had a great adventure.
I finished the 600 with some zip (see last two "paragraphs"), wondering ...

Anyway, ... , two opinions.
Only one SR between us.
I deem that the opinion of the one with the SR is more correct.
At least for me.
My approach may not work for anyone else.


Back to Get 'er Dunn:

MikeH has done the route enough times that he has become a reasonable substitute for Dean.
Mike repeatedly cautioned about upcoming road hazards and dawgs.
He's learned well from "the master".

Q,:  How many times has MikeH completed Get 'er Dunn?
A.:  In prime-numbers:  2 x 2 x 3 x 3.
Second only to Dean in completed G'eD's.

I find this hard to believe, but I have completed G'eD ... 2 x 7 times.
Fourth most on that route.

Q.:  So who has the third most G'eD's?
A.:  2011-NC-Randonnuese-of-the-Year Janis, with 2 x 3 x 5 completions.

I think I prefer Janis's prime-multipliers more than MikeH's or mine or Dean's.
After all, Janis has three unique primes, and they are the first three primes.


To clarify:  there was not one single word spoken about prime-numbers on the ride.
Or on any ride ... at least not by me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb-04:  

Get 'er Dunn 102-km Perm-Populaire; 63.5 m.; est. 4h18 in-motion; 14.7 mph; official rando time -- 5h15 .  

Jan tot: __6 rides; __426.2 m.; _28 h, 52 m; 14.8 mph. 
Feb tot: __2 rides; __190.5 m.; _12 h, 44 m; 15.0 mph. 
YTD tot: __8 rides; __616.7 m.; _41 h, 36 m; 14.8 mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment