Monday, July 30, 2012

Jul-29: OakElmOak 209-km Perm

Ian met me at the Cameron Village McD's (open control) for the start of the relatively new OakElmOak 209-km Permament.  Having been delegated the responsibility for same by owner Mick/Mike, I duly collected Ian's signature, etc. onto the group waiver we were using.  Collected receipts and then started the ride.

OakElmOak is one of the (now) three Permanents that start from downtown Raleigh.  It will surprise no one if I write that I prefer routes that start at the edge of town -- I don't like riding through the traffic and the stop-signs and the stop-lights and the stop-signs and the stop-lights that it takes to get out of downtown, or back into at the end of rides.  Did I mention that I'm not a fan of car traffic and stop-signs and stop-lights?

Anyway, soon enough we were away from downtown and then outside the city, enjoying conversation.  Actually, I think I may have talked more than my fair share, but I did at least let Ian get in some things.  I think we were on Fowler Rd about 20-miles into the ride when, in the logical course of the conversation at the time, Ian referenced "[his] father" as if I should know his father; for  a second, I thought to myself, "am I supposed to know Ian's father / have I met Ian's father?"  I came to my senses a second later ... of course I knew who Ian's father was ... I had just forgotten with whom I was riding.  (For the non-locals, Ian's father was THE Adrian of "La Société Adrian Hands" and other fame.)  I guess it a good thing that, usually, I just think of Ian as Ian, and not as "Adrian's son".

Luckily for me, Ian had only done one 200k ride since doing the pre-ride for Alan's 600-km brevet, so his legs were a little suspect.  Further luck for as the day before Ian had done his second 200 in the last two months -- the north-of-Raleigh/Durham hillfest known as Leesville-Leasburg-Leesville.  I note that those were lucky things for me because Ian, in addition to being 29-years-younger than me, is quite a bit faster than me on the bike (clearly, the latter is the important thing).  So ... with fewer recent miles in his legs, and a hard ride the day before, there was hope for me.

Unfortunately, I had done the Bahama Beach Perm-Pop the day before at a higher in-motion pace that I usually do that ride.  So ... each of us had slightly tired legs.

Ian assured me that he was riding either "with me" or "following me" due to his concern over being slightly out-of-shape.  Um-huh; sure.

I finally did tell Ian, probably even before reaching the Spring Hope control at 43-miles, that I was done "charging up the climbs" for the day.  Luckily, although not flat, the OakElmOak route is not "hilly" -- mostly gentle rollers -- scenic in a number of spots. though.  Paul Sledge Rd goes along a ridge-top, providing views off to each side -- I liked that.  The crossing of the Tar River on NC-58 was scenic -- FLAT terrain / crossing of the river, with water perhaps backed-up from the Tar River Reservoir, making near estuary-like vistas.  (The Tar River does essentially become an estuary when it passes by Washington, North Carolina.)

I don't recall anything from the return ride from Elm City worth particular written attention, except for the following:

  • I thought there were more fast-food options in Spring Hope than there actually is, 
  • Ian found his fast-legs about 20-miles before the end of the ride, 
  • he now thinks he'll be able to handle the ToC-1200 at the end of August, 
  • more traffic coming back into Raleigh than I like to deal with. 


All-in-all, a good ride.  And, as best I can recall, the first time I've actually done an entire ride with Ian.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul-29:  

---> OakElmOak 209-km Permanet (with some bonus miles) --->; 141.6 m.; 9h19 in-motion; 15.2 mph; OakElmOak accounted for 133.6-miles and 8h40 in-motion w/ 10h50 elapsed time

Q-1 tot: _22 rides; 1,610.3 m.; 108 h, 42 m; 14.8 mph. 
Q-2 tot: _29 rides; 2,711.5 m.; 182 h, 48 m; 14.8 mph. 
Ju1 tot: __9 rides; __751.5 m.; _49 h, 10 m; 15.3 mph. 
YTD tot: _60 rides; 5,073.3 m.; 340 h, 40 m; 14.9 mph.  


Eddington Cycling Number: 
After this ride:  90
Meaning that I have completed at least 90 different rides that were at least 90 miles long. 
(The next ECN-milestone will come at 93 as I have no 91 or 92 mile rides.)

No comments:

Post a Comment