Thursday, May 2, 2024

Oct-03-2021: Getting High in Durham County

Did U ever get High in Durham County?

Iva and I did. 
That is, we rode up to the highest elevation in Durham County.   
 
We also intended to get High in Person County, but when we got to Mountain Brook Rd, we realized that we had the wrong bikes. We needed gravel grinders or one similar to one in the Pamela stable or a bike fit for Lon Haldemann's Route 66 Tour. In other words, TOO MUCH gravel for our 25-mm road bike tyres. (Wish I had taken a pic at the bottom of Mountain Brook Rd.) 
  
link to the RWGPS of the route intended:  
  
We expected to find scenic view once we reached that high elevation. 
Instead. we found we were still in a tree tunnel. 
And, after all, that high elevation is only about 763 ft above sea level. 
I refer to the elevation on the road surface as the actual high elevation is actually 10 or 20 yards into the woods. 
 
Here are a few photos from the Durham County high elevation. 



 
While making our way to the Person County high elevation, 
We came across Orange County Speedway -- here are a few photos. 





One attempt at capturing a semi-scenic view from Ned Moore Rd.   
I should have stopped 50 yards earlier, or ridden "backward" for 50 yards, but ... 
Probably should significanly crop this photo to remove most of the roadway "cluttering" the foreground.  Maybe later.
 
And finally, a photo of the house on Helena-Moriah Rd that looks somewhat more dilapidated than it did 10 or 12 years ago.  [Somewhere, I have a photo of that house from that 10 or 12 years ago, but I cannot find it -- sigh.]  

That concludes this mostly photo essay, 
Except to note that starting a bicycle ride from the Butner gazebo is an excellent idea. 
  • a LOT less traffic starting from there instead of from the north edge of Raleigh, and 
  • it is easier and quicker to get to interesting terrain (i.e., hillier stuff).  

 

That's the story for this ride. 
A story to which I'll be sticking.  
 
================================================== 
 
Oops, let me add some comments exchanged between IvaHawk and me subsequent to the ride: 
  • me:  the creek crossed on Ned Moore Rd was likely the South Flat River. The first creek crossed between Timberlake and Mt Tirzah was likely the North Flat River. The creek crossed between Mt Tirzah and Moriah appears to be Rock Fork Branch which feeds into the North Flat River. And from inspection of the map, I'm thinking that the town of Timberlake is located in Helena Township. 
  • IvaHawk:  The Flat is all around that area. We pass it on Moores Mill as you know. That’s interesting about Timberlake and Helena. I couldn’t find anything on Helena. 
  • me:  Oh, yes, I almost started to reply with additional actual information, but then I realized that, "YES, everything around that area is FLAT." 
 
NOW it is a story to which I'll be sticking.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment