Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Jun-27: Modified Denny's Store Sortie

Jun-27, modified Denny's Store Sortie  
0600, solo -- 70-88 F -- 7h51 elapsed -- V-150 #1
93.4-miles -- 7:01 in-motion

The plan was to use the "Denny's Store Sortie" 138-km perm-pop as the core for a 100-miler.  Started at 0600 from my abode (that was probably too late -- shoulda' started at 0500 or 0430).  The ride started well, but the increasing heat and headwind outbound followed by more heat and the wind shifting from NW to SW (on a hot day, it always backs around to be from the SW) made for a headwind all the way back to Raleigh.

The first 33+ miles in faux single-speed 39/15 mode, including the climb up the "Range Wall" huffing and puffing the entire way.  Just after 33-mile-mark, I reflexively shifted to the 39/14, and I decided I'd use gears the rest of the ride.

Before I got to Shoofly, approx 63-miles into the ride, I had bailed on doing a 100-miler and was instead in "survival" mode.

Although this was my Hudson Valley Randonneurs Virtual Spring Brevet V-150 #1, the way I feel right now, I think I'll count it as V-100 #6.  [Someone had an insane plan going into the weekend: 100-miler Saturday + a 200k on Sunday + another V-100 on Tuesday -- those would have meant a successful V-50 campaign, a successful V-100 campaign, and a V-SR. Hahaha -- THAT is definitely not happening.]

So, I'll finish the virtual brevet season with 10 x V-50 and 6 x V-100.  However, having cleaned out the house of my mother-in-law and separately my father-in-law, I collect VERY FEW awards (to gather dust and for someone else to have to dispose of at a future date).  In other words, I won't be filing my results nor applying for the associated bumper stickers (?).
Camp Butner was a United States Army installation in Butner, North Carolina during World War II. It was named after Army General Henry W. Butner.  Part of it was used as a POW-Camp for German prisoners of war in the United States and this site eventually became the Federal Correctional Complex, Butner. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Butner
This "prop", across the road from the previous sign for Camp Butner, sometimes used to take photos en route, usually the "Bahama Beach: perm-pop.  I think the most recent use of this location was last September when John + Ann J agreed to pose.
NC State Farm across from the Camp Butner sign.

More NC State Farm.

Looking Deep into the Creek.

NW corner of the modified route -- I didn't do the mile out and the mile back, down-and-up-and-down-and up, to the Control at the Allensville Store and back to this location.

Strange! That flag was luffing about some, and showing that the direction of the wind was becoming variable, but I'm surprised to see a "sad Flag" in this photo. 

The iconic location for photos on this route, the actual Denny's Store x roads, is just visible in the middle of that curve in the background.

This year, tobacco in that field.  Some years, cotton. Some years, essentially lying fallow with an alfalfa crop.


Berea c-store. [I unintentionally took a mirror selfie.] 


No comments:

Post a Comment