Friday, July 10, 2020

May-26: The "Road to Dickerson"

Last week, M-Th, all day rains.
Friday morning rain.
The weekend, Sat + Sun, sunny, but I couldn't get out.
Yesterday, Memorial Day, overcast all day, but no rain. Still couldn't get out.


The "Road to Dickerson"

Essentially the "Bay Leaf - Oxford - Bay Leaf" perm-pop, but starting nearer the house and turning around at Dickerson (instead of continuing on up to the east side of Oxford).

Overcast in the morning, which is good because that helps keep the temperature from skyrocketing. Late in the ride, the skies over Raleigh began to clear / did mostly clear, and in the last several miles, I was glad of the places where the road was shaded.

A forecast 3-mph headwind on the way out. Ha! Those little triangular "flags" one can see "everywhere" and the long grasses in the ditches were whipping about quite noticeably -- certainly significantly more than a 3-mph breeze. (But interestingly, I do recall see one "sad flag" outbound; but I don't recall where.)

And paraphrasing the "Fixie Pixie," there was no tailwind inbound; instead, I was feeling good. At least until the out-of-shapeness and the climb on Lawrence Rd and the last three climbs got to me.

If it had been sunny the entire ride, I planned to take a few more photos.
But today, only three.

Local randos, and some from elsewhere in RUSA-land, might recognize this location (if I had managed a more expansive view).


I tried to find an angle and scope that would include the flag atop the tall flagpole, the parking lot, the building, and my bike.  No soap.  So, I settled for the corner of the building with new name of the fire-station and my bike.

The station used to be part of the Stony Hill Volunteer Fire Dept. But Stony Hill and Bay Leaf were merged to become Northern Wake last year or the year before that.

Dickerson.  If one looks carefully, one can see where the green "town"-name sign used to be bolted atop that post.  The sign disappeared two or three years ago. 

For a view of that signpost on a sunny day, click here.
A sign of the times.
=======================================================
Since I will surely re-purpose the RWGPS map I made of the route I rode this date,
What follows are the "map image" and "elevation profile" of the route ridden.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment