Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Re: Woohoo! 3.2-miles today!

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 10:40:37 PM EST, <skiffrun> wrote:


Took some papers (one I had printed and the other was a "get well" card delivered in my care) over to Lynn's today. 
 
It is 1.6 flat miles each way to and from Lynn's (or at least it is the way I rode today and have been riding it for at least a couple years -- I used to "cut through" using some neighborhood streets and that way has three notable inclines each direction, but the distance is the same).  
 
As usual, I stood the entire way there and the entire way back.  9:28 (that's m:ss) in-motion to get there -- and that includes SLOWLY navigating past and through a LOT of cars lined up to get into Ravenscroft (meaning I had to slow down and weave my way through and around) and also a lot trying to get back out -- the line to get into Ravenscroft was backed up onto Fall of the Neuse Rd!!  Also, on the way to Lynn's, there was a phone "repair" vehicle parked squarely on the sidewalk, so I had to de tour in the VERY SOFT grass / turf beside the sidewalk, and that was rather interesting as I had to power my through the VERY SOFT stuff with my pace cut by two-thirds or more.
 
9:34 (that's m:ss) in-motion to get back -- there was a bit of a headwind and I had to "navigate" (in this case, slow down) to avoid being in the same place at the same time as a mini-van), so that combination clearly added a whopping 6 seconds in-motion to the ride time. 
 
So, total 3.2 miles in 19:02 in-motion (just to remind you, that's mm:ss).  
 
I have never "counted" / recorded the errand rides to and from Lynn's, nor to the bank, nor have I ever "counted" / recorded the former 1.1-miles each way that was my work commute.  But maybe I'll "count" / record them this year (just for kicks?).  
 
Btw, it is sometimes faster to cycle the 1.6-miles than it is to drive it.  That is particularly likely to be the case during business and/or church "rush hour" time-frames and also during Ravenscroft rush-hours. 
 
Enjoy the ride, 
...Martin
 

2 comments:

  1. The quickest in-motion time I've ever done from my sleep-quarters to Lynn's home is just under eight-minutes-flat -- that was Dec-31-2020, the day she texted and asked if I could drive her to Wake North Ortho Urgent Care (in her CRV).

    Clearly an emergency, I put more effort into the pedaling than I would normally do / more effort than I thought I had in me.

    BTW, I assert that (eight-minutes-flat for the sidewalks involved and which translates into) 12-mph on those sidewalks is moving pretty fast. At least that is my story, and I'll be sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other thing -- although this is the only ride "blogged" in January-2021, and indeed the only ride I bothered to put into my Excel log, I did several rides between my sleep quarters and Lynn's in the period Jan-01 thru Jan-05 -- I just didn't bother to record them.

    ReplyDelete